Jordan Sinnott: Two men face jail for manslaughter of footballer after killer called ‘fat and ginger’ | UK News


Two men face prison for the manslaughter of a footballer in an attack sparked by a remark that one of the killers was “fat and red”.

Matlock Town FC midfielder Jordan Sinnott died in hospital after suffering a broken skull and brain damage following the assault in Retford, Nottinghamshire on January 25.

After a trial in Nottingham Crown Court, 22-year-old Kai Denovan was convicted of manslaughter, fighting and common assault.

Jordan Sinnott playing for Huddersfield Town in 2013

Cameron Matthews, 21, had pleaded guilty to manslaughter in an earlier hearing after CCTV footage showed him beating the footballer.

A third man, Sean Nicholson, 22, admitted a brawl charge at a previous hearing.

Prosecutors said Denovan “immediately went into a rage” after Mr Sinnott associated himself with what the footballer believed to be the defendant’s “self-defeating humor”.

Court heard Denovan followed Mr Sinnott, 25, and two friends to a pub called The Vine before telling the footballer he was a ‘handsome boy’ and would have no problem ‘shooting girls ”- unlike him, who was“ fat and ginger ”.

Learn more about Nottinghamshire

Mr Sinnott replied, “Yes, I can see that”, which the prosecution said prompted the attack around 2 a.m.

Prosecutor Michael Auty QC told the court that Mr. Sinnott was ready to apologize for any infringement caused, but described Denovan, Matthews and Nicholson as a “demanding hunt and retribution group.”

Cameron Matthews pleaded guilty to manslaughter

Matthews hit Sinnott “two or three times” after violence spilled over into the streets outside the pub, the court heard.

Jurors were told Matthews was “taking over” from Denovan, who was “obviously in trouble” – and allegedly hit Mr. Sinnott twice in the face inside The Vine.

Kai Denovan was convicted of manslaughter
Kai Denovan was convicted of manslaughter

After the trial, Nottinghamshire Police released CCTV footage which showed the final moments before Mr Sinnott was attacked.

Chief Detective Inspector Rob Routledge, who led the investigation, said Sinnott was a “talented and beloved young man with many promising years ahead of him.”

Sean Nicholson admitted the fight
Sean Nicholson admitted the fight

He added: “The actions of Matthews and Denovan in the early hours of January 25 cruelly took that future from Jordan and changed his family’s life forever.

“Life will never be the same for Jordan’s family, but I hope they will be comforted by justice. ”

Prior to joining Matlock Town, Mr. Sinnott played for Huddersfield Town, Altrincham, Bury, Halifax Town and Chesterfield during his career.

Jordan Sinnott died after being assaulted in Retford, Nottinghamshire
Mr Sinnott died after being attacked in Retford, Nottinghamshire

News of his death was greeted with a wave of support from the football community, with clubs donating more than 800 jerseys to display at his funeral and later auctioned off for charity.

Manchester United captain and England player Harry Maguire was among those who donated a shirt in support.

Denovan, Matthews and Nicholson, all from Retford, will be sentenced by the same court on Friday.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here