Iranian religious leaders are desperate to prevent a resumption of anti-government protests last November, when more than 1,000 people are believed to have been killed in the country’s deadliest street violence since the 1979 Islamic Revolution. Tehran says 225 people have been killed. killed, including members of the security forces. The justice system said on Tuesday that the death sentences of three men involved in the unrest have been confirmed, sparking a wave of online protests.
At the same time, a separate statement issued by the body of Imam Reza in the northeastern northeastern province of Khorasan Razavi said:
Videos posted on Iranian social media on Thursday showed protesters chanting, “Don’t fear, don’t fear, we’re together! Some chanted slogans against senior officials.
The clips appeared to show a strong presence of security forces in several cities, although their veracity could not be independently verified.
Iran’s economic situation, already dire in the face of severe economic sanctions imposed by the United States that hit the country’s oil exports, has been made worse by the coronavirus pandemic.
READ MORE: Kim Jong-un at the edge of the abyss: North Korean leaders face the BLOW of their own sister
Last year’s unrest began with protests against economic hardship and soaring inflation, but turned political, with protesters demanding the resignation of senior officials.
Social media on Friday called for protests across the country to protest the three death sentences.
Internet access advocacy group NetBlocks.org also claimed Internet access in Iran’s oil-rich Khuzestan province was cut off Thursday evening.
Iran has always accused the United States and Israel of internal unrest.
Referring to the unrest of last November, the Iranian authorities admitted that some “rioters” had been shot dead by the security forces.
Religious leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said the unrest was a “very dangerous conspiracy” by the enemies of Iran.
Philip Luther, Amnesty International’s director for the Middle East and North Africa, said: “Heartbreaking eyewitness accounts suggest that almost immediately after the Iranian authorities massacred hundreds of people participating in protests in nationally, they then orchestrated a large-scale crackdown aimed at instilling fear and preventing anyone from talking about what happened.
“Without urgent international pressure, thousands of people will continue to be exposed to torture and other ill-treatment.
Citing “credible sources”, Amnesty said in Raja’i Shahr prison in the town of Karaj that hundreds of detainees, including children, had been brought in trucks to prison, detainees handcuffed and blindfolded having been punched, kicked and flogged with batons. security forces.