French man accused of assaulting hundreds of children dies in Indonesia

0
121


Image copyright
EPA

Legend
François Camille Abello was produced by the police during a press conference this month


French man accused of assaulting hundreds of children in Indonesia died in suspected suicide, police said.

François Camille Abello, 65, was found unanswered in his cell in a detention center in the capital, Jakarta, last Thursday, spokesman Yusri Yunus said.

Abello was pronounced dead Sunday evening after three days of treatment.

The retiree was arrested last month at a hotel in Jakarta. Police said he was in a room with two underage girls.

They said videos were found on Mr. Abello’s computer showing him engaging in illegal sexual acts with more than 300 children aged 10 to 17 years old.

Umar Shahab, an official with the Jakarta National Police Hospital, said on Monday that Mr. Abello had suffered a broken neck which had blocked his oxygen supply.

Mr. Yunus said that the guards at the detention center were interrogated and the cell examined as part of an investigation into the death.

According to the police, Mr. Abello targeted street children, luring them with offers of money to photograph them in his hotel room before making sexual advances. Those who refused were beaten, police said.

He risked life imprisonment, chemical castration or possibly the death penalty if convicted.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here