Monguillot was attacked on Sunday in the southwestern city of Bayonne after asking three passengers to wear masks – in accordance with the rules applicable to coronaviruses across France – and trying to verify the ticket of a other man.
Two men were charged with attempted murder, two others for failing to assist a person in danger and another for attempting to conceal a suspect, the local prosecutor’s office said.
The two accused of attempted murder are 22 and 23 years old. They were previously known to the police.Bayonne’s attorney Jérôme Bourrier, who confirmed the driver’s death, told AFP that he would request that the charges be changed to reflect his death.
The driver’s family organized a silent march in his honor on Wednesday from the bus stop where the attack took place.
Colleagues have used their right to refuse work the day after the attack, but will resume work on Monday under increased security, the local operator said.
This will include a security guard on board the so-called Trambus, long buses that criss-cross Bayonne and its surroundings in the usually peaceful Basque country.
Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin is scheduled to travel to Bayonne on Saturday to discuss the security situation and meet the drivers.