Fighting game tournament organizer Evo canceled Evo Online and withdrew its co-founder and president after serious allegations surfaced about his past behavior. The long-standing esports event was previously scheduled to take place in a new online format only from July 4 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Joey Cuellar “will no longer be involved in Evo in any capacity,” the company said. Tony Cannon, another of the organization’s co-founders, will act as CEO in the future. Cuellar apologized in a tweet and said he was “not proud of”His past actions.
The cancellation of the cancellation of the event occurred less than 24 hours after the fight against the player Mikey “Crackpr0n” Pham alleged that Cuellar had behaved inappropriately towards him and a number of other adolescents in the 1990s and early 00s. As a result of the allegations, several companies withdrew from the event, including Capcom, NetherRealm, and Bandai Namco, as well as actors and commentators, according to PCGamer.
Evo said it would reimburse anyone who bought a badge for Evo Online, and that it would donate to Project Hope equivalent to the proceeds of the event.