Chief: Video shows man killed by Detroit police sent back first


DETROIT – A video released by Detroit police shows a young man who appears to shoot an officer at close range on Friday before his colleagues open fire, killing the suspect.

Police chief James Craig told reporters on Friday evening that the suspect identified as 20-year-old Hakeem Littleton was not more than 0.91 meters (3 feet) away when the video was released. he started shooting.

“It is simply a miracle that he was not hit on the head,” said Craig of the officer.

A few hours earlier, dozens of protesters converged on the shooting site on the west side of Detroit, yelling at the police and chanting “Black Lives Matter” and “Defund DPD!”

Craig said he wanted to post the videos quickly because of what he described as rumors about the shooting, which he said included false social media posts that Littleton had not been armed.

The shooting took place around 12:30 p.m. while police were investigating a July 4 shooting and arrested a different man, who did not resist.

Police had no plans to arrest Littleton for nothing, said Craig. Littleton appeared calm on the video, even raising his hands before suddenly reaching his pocket, taking out a semi-automatic pistol, pointing and shooting him at the officer as they faced each other.

Craig stated that the officer closest to Littleton had not even had the opportunity to detach his own weapon before the shooting began.

A total of eight shots were fired in five seconds, four by three different officers and four shots from Littleton, said Craig. He said Littleton continued to shoot after falling to the ground.

Craig said Littleton, who was on probation for an armed robbery, appeared to be saying something about not allowing the police to arrest his friend before he started shooting.

Littleton was pronounced dead in a hospital. A cannon and shell casings were recovered.

No officer was injured. Those involved in the shooting were placed on administrative leave pending an investigation into the shooting.

The other man in detention had a current mandate. He is suspect in a gang-related shootout on July 5 at a block party that left three dead and five injured.

Protests have taken place in the city and across the United States since the death of George Floyd on May 25 in Minneapolis. Floyd, who was black and handcuffed, died after a white policeman stuck his knee in Floyd’s neck for several minutes even as Floyd begged for air and eventually stopped moving.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here