When Chelsea first faced Wolves this season, the boring first 30 minutes were followed by a blast of 7 goals, with Chelsea winning 5-2.
This time the boring first 40 minutes were followed by a blast of 2 goals before half-time – Mason Mount with a perfect free kick after Alonso won a questionable foul; then Giroud does not give up after a first stop on a short meter.
Chelsea emerged a lot more in control in the second half which was just what was needed, especially with Wolves throwing a lot of fresh legs, including Adama Traore. But apart from a few strengths of him, Chelsea have handled the opposition very well all afternoon.
Both teams sounded the changes as the half wore on, and all the fluidity disappeared from the game, which suited us just fine.
Accomplished job. Champions League assured. Never in doubt.
- Just one voluntary change from the middle of the week, with Caballero replacing Kepa in goal, as many expected, wanted, hoped. Willian the other change, imposed by injury, with Pulisic getting the sign to go instead.
- Identical subs, with both teams staying 3-4-3 all the time.
- 7th Premier League goal for Mount
- Giroud now has 10 goals for the season in all competitions.
- Chelsea finished fourth, as Manchester United beat Leicester City to remain third. Leicester finished fifth. Wolves fall to seventh place, with Spurs scoring a point against Crystal Palace and thus finishing sixth.
- Next stop: FA CUP FINAL next weekend, against Arsenal