Chelsea were completely dominant in the first half, if not exactly threatening, as the match quickly settled into an attack on defense exercise.
Pulisic and Giroud’s half chances passed without much concern while Kurt Zouma opened a wide header with half the net to aim for from one of the half dozen turns that Chelsea won in the first half .
Just when it seemed that we were entering the break completely frustrated and half asleep, Giroud lost his man to get the end of a perfect Pulisic center and to lead Chelsea at close range at halftime.
Chelsea were unable to keep up with the streak in the second period and Norwich started entering the game towards the end of the hour. Chelsea responded to this brief resurgence with a burst of decent chances, forcing Krul to make two good stops (Pulisic, Alonso), before the two teams shuffle their cards.
Chelsea continued to press for a second as the nerves increased. But Norwich posed no real danger and the points were safe.
- Five changes from Saturday, with even more reshuffles in defensive partnerships and the midfield.
- Comparable submarines
- Shots: 22 to 2. Shots on target: 6 to 0. Possession: 70-30. Dominating everywhere except the dashboard.
- Another goal for Giroud, his 6th in his last 8 starts in the Premier League
- Another assist for Pulisic, his 3rd in the last 5 games.
- Norwich’s 8th consecutive loss, a club record.
- Four-point spread with Leicester and Manchester United, who both play on Thursday.
- Next step: Manchester United at Wembley in the FA Cup semifinals on Sunday.