He has been on the front lines of the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic this summer and said in a social media post that if he takes health risks it will be to help patients.
“It is one of the hardest decisions I have had to make in my life, but I have to follow my beliefs and do what I think is right for me personally,” Duvernay-Tardif said in a post. on Twitter. “This is why I have decided to take the exit option negotiated by the League and the NFLPA and officially withdraw from the 2020 NFL season.
“Being on the front line this offseason has given me a different perspective on this pandemic and the stress it places on individuals and our health system. I cannot afford to potentially transmit the virus in our communities just to play the sport I love. ”
The NFL and its players’ association agreed earlier Friday on a opt-out clause for the upcoming season. Those who voluntarily choose to receive a stipend of US $ 150,000 instead of their contractual salary, while those who have opted for a medical option will receive $ 350,000.
The deadline to unsubscribe is August 3.
Duvernay-Tardif signed a four-year contract in February 2017. He recently renegotiated the contract and was expected to receive a base salary of US $ 2.75 million this season.
The Chiefs welcomed the rookies to training camp earlier this week, although most of their time was spent on COVID-19 testing and routine physical exams. Veterans like Duvernay-Tardif were to arrive in the coming days.
Kansas City drafted Duvernay-Tardif in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft at McGill. He’s been on guard since 2015 and helped the Chiefs win the Super Bowl last season, their second overall but the first in 50 years.
Now the Chiefs will have to find a replacement at Duvernay-Tardif for the next 2020 season.