The hot, dry weather caused blue algae to form in Lake Major’s water supply, according to Halifax Water.James Campbell, a spokesperson for Halifax Water, said that the blue-green algae found in the water supply is currently non-toxic.
The utility said Thursday that the level of microcystin, the toxin produced by algae, remains below the maximum acceptable concentration of Health Canada and that the water is still drinkable and usable.
The water supply serves approximately 103,000 residents in Dartmouth, Cole Harbor, Eastern Passage, North Preston, Westphal and Burnside.
Halifax Water said in a statement that it is monitoring the water quality of Lake Major with Nova Scotia Environment and Public Health.
Any change in water quality will be communicated to the public, said the utility.