Appeal decision on European ban on Manchester City to be announced at 9:30 am Monday | Football News

0
125


Manchester City has appealed against a two-year European ban at the CAS

Manchester City will know Monday at 9:30 am if their appeal against their two-year European ban is successful, the Sports Arbitration Tribunal (CAS) announced.

The city has been sanctioned by the UEFA club financial control authority (CFCB) for violating the rules on club licensing and financial fair play.

The city has always vigorously denied any wrongdoing and their appeal against the sanction was heard for three days by the Sports Arbitral Tribunal (CAS) last month.

The CAS published a statement on Friday evening which read as follows: “The Sports Arbitral Tribunal (CAS) will announce on Monday July 13, 2020 the decision taken in the arbitration procedure between the Manchester City Football Club and the Union of associations European Football Championships (UEFA). . ”

The press release adds that the decision will be published on the CAS website at 10:30 am Swiss time (9:30 am, United Kingdom).

Earlier on Friday, city head coach Pep Guardiola said he was confident his team would compete in the Champions League next season.

The club need only two points from their last four Premier League games to make it to the top four, but their involvement in next season’s competition will not be confirmed until Monday.

Guardiola said: “The intention each season is to play in the Champions League and do our best. This is not what will happen on Monday.

2:49
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he believes European club ban will be lifted next week

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he believes European club ban will be lifted next week

“I am confident because I have seen the club’s arguments that we will be there next season, but we have to wait and after giving my opinion, the club will give their statement. “

Monday is D-Day for the city

Sky Sports News Journalist Analysis Kaveh Solhekol…

“Manchester City will know at 9:30 am Monday morning if they can play in the Champions League for the next two seasons. The sports arbitral tribunal (CAS) will announce its decision after City has appealed a two-year ban imposed by UEFA for “serious violations” of its financial fair play (FFP) rules.

“If City’s ban is confirmed, the team that finishes fifth in the Premier League – currently Manchester United – will take its place in the Champions League next season.

“Whatever happens, City will be able to continue playing in this season’s competition when it resumes next month. Competition was suspended in March with City well placed to reach the quarterfinals after winning 2-1 at Real Madrid in a 16 round tie first leg.

“This is the first time that UEFA has banned a Champions League club in two seasons and the CAS has the power to overturn the ban or reduce it to one season.

“Pep Guardiola said last week that he was confident the ban would be lifted and reiterated his position at the press conference on Friday. He has already said that he will remain the manager of the club next season, even if they are not allowed to play in Europe. “

Guardiola confident Man City will play Champions League football next season

Guardiola confident Man City will play Champions League football next season

“Missing European football would result in a loss of income of around £ 100 million per season. In addition, transfer targets may be reluctant to join a club that is not in Europe and questions would be asked about the future of some of the city’s most precious. players.

“In February, UEFA banned City from Europe for the next two seasons and fined them 30 million euros for” serious violations “of FFP rules and for failure to cooperate with the investigation .

“In an interview with the city’s internal media team, CEO Ferran Soriano said” disappointed but not surprised “by the decision.

“City was found to have overestimated sponsorship revenue and break-even information in accounts submitted to UEFA between 2012 and 2016.

“The city’s appeal was heard for three days from June 8 to June 10 by videoconference by a panel of three arbitrators – Rui Botica Santos, Ulrich Haas and Andrew McDougall QC.

“City hired a group of high-level lawyers to represent them at the CAS hearing. Their legal team was led by David Pannick QC from Blackstone Chambers and Paul Harris QC from Monckton Chambers.

“Lord Pannick successfully represented Gina Miller against the government in September when the Supreme Court ruled that Prime Minister Boris Johnson had acted illegally by suspending Parliament.

City Director General Ferran Soriano (right) said

City general manager Ferran Soriano (right) said he was “disappointed but not surprised” at UEFA’s first verdict

“UEFA lawyers included Dr Jan Kleiner, partner at Bär & Karrer and co-head of the sports practice group at the Swiss law firm, and Mark Phillips QC of South Square Chambers.

“UEFA launched an investigation into City after documents were published on the Football Leaks and Der Spiegel website in November 2018. The German magazine said that the City owners had tried to circumvent the FFP rules by putting money in the club disguised as sponsorship income. A document appeared to show that Etihad Airways was only paying £ 8 million for a £ 67 million sponsorship deal.

“In November of last year, the CAS rejected an attempt by the city to close the case and cancel the ban for procedural reasons.

“The FFP was introduced by UEFA in 2009 to prevent clubs from facing serious financial difficulties by spending too much. Clubs are required to operate within their means and achieve profitability targets, while transactions must be transparent.

“City has been in the Champions League for nine consecutive seasons since its first qualification for competition in 2011/12. She had already competed in the European Cup in 1968.

“City was fined £ 49 million by UEFA in 2014 for breaking the FFP rules. A fine of £ 32 million has been suspended.

“The Premier League said in March of last year that it is investigating to see if City has broken any of its financial regulations. “

Three of a kind for Liverpool?

Don’t miss your chance to hit the £ 250,000 jackpot for the sixth time this season on Saturday. Play for free, entry before 3 p.m.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here