Alberta adds more than 100 cases of COVID-19 for the first time since early May

0
100


EDMONTON – Alberta’s COVID-19 figures are “significantly up from yesterday” after adding more than 100 cases for the first time since May 2. Dr. Deena Hinshaw reported 120 new cases of coronavirus after Alberta Health Services performed more than 8,200 tests.

The number of active cases reached 807, with 69 hospitalized patients, including eight in ICU.

Two other Albertans died from COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths to 165.

Calgary has exceeded 300 active infections with a total of 312, while Edmonton has 184 current cases.

“I am absolutely concerned about the recent numbers and the increase in the number we have had,” said Hinshaw. “I am particularly concerned about the number of cases for which we do not know the source.

“I am very concerned about reports of people not following a physical distance, for example on the beaches as we saw last weekend. I am concerned about reports of people who believe that public health measures are no longer important. ”

When asked why things keep reopening when cases increase,

The province currently has five regions in its monitoring category: Mackenzie County, Stettler County # 6, Wheatland County, Municipal District of Willow Creek # 26 and Cardston County.

Alberta has recorded 9,114 cases of coronavirus since March.

CONTINUING CARE FACILITIES

Alberta is changing the rules for visiting continuing care facilities.

As the pandemic began to unfold, the Chief Medical Officer of Health restricted visitors to protect the residents of these homes.

Of the 165 Albertans killed by the virus, 119 lived in continuing care facilities.

Previously, indoor visits were limited to a designated family member, and outside visits could only include that person plus another.

“Protecting residents from COVID-19 required severe visitation restrictions, which helped limit and prevent epidemics, but also wreaked havoc on those living in these facilities.

Starting July 23, this restrictive access changes to what Hinshaw calls a safe access approach, where residents can accommodate two people inside without having to make an appointment and up to four visitors to the outside.

“We think it will help people stay connected socially and emotionally while protecting those who are most at risk from serious consequences,” said Hinshaw. “We heard clearly from residents and family that these restrictions caused great stress and, in some cases, profound deterioration in the health of residents who were depressed, isolated and lonely.”

The province leaves it to each establishment to develop a visitor policy based on consultation with residents, family and staff that assesses the level of risk that each home is prepared to assume.

However, Hinshaw warns that the virus is still there and that elderly residents remain at risk.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here