The drama surrounding Ryan Garcia’s career continues.
Garcia (20-0, 17 KOs) was scheduled to return to the ring on July 4 in a Golden Boy on the DAZN card, but he was not interested in an inadequate $ 200,000 scholarship offer – his contractual minimum. As such, the 21-year-old lightweight contender will be on the shelf indefinitely while Golden Boy plans to return later in July with another undefeated hope Vergil Ortiz (15-0, 15 KO’s).
Oscar De La Hoya, promoter of Garcia, announced Ortiz on Monday, but not before throwing Garcia under the bus.
It’s not even subtle. It’s Dana White’s “he doesn’t want to fight” line written just differently.
It didn’t take Garcia long to retaliate with a tweet, although he has since deleted it. No need to worry, because the screenshot is there! (Wrong left hook H / T)
The tension between Garcia and Golden Boy has been well documented since last year. They apparently smoothed things out when he signed a multi-year contract to stay with the promotion, but it only took two fights for things to happen again.
Steve Kim of ESPN reported that “Garcia was asking for wages that would be double his minimum contractual amount in the neighborhood of $ 500,000. “
$ 500,000 is a lot of money for someone who is undoubtedly a burgeoning talent, but who otherwise has never fought an opponent in the consensus top 10, let alone compete for a world title. However, the initial offer was deemed “unacceptable” by his advisor, Lupe Valencia.
“That’s the problem – it’s complicated, things are not irreparable right now,” said Valencia. “We’re going to get through, but for this particular fight, Golden Boy asked DAZN to fight on a limited budget because of the whole COVID affair. My understanding was that DAZN planned to return in September. Golden Boy wanted them to come back earlier and made the front page of Ryan. I understand DAZN agreed to come back earlier on a limited budget.
“Our opinion was that we did not want to come back to the limited budget sooner. This is really the main thing. ”
As for Garcia’s return, Valencia says it depends on DAZN and when they are ready to start over with a normal budget.
Perhaps the biggest story at stake here is that between the collapse of a Ryan Garcia special on July 4 and the apparent nixing of Regis Prograis against Maurice Hooker (in part) due to money, DAZN seems to be in huge trouble and the boxers are paying the price.