In a statement released later on Wednesday, the WHO said the decision was based on evidence from the Solidarity Trial itself.
The decision was also based on a UK-led trial that found the drug did not help COVID-19 patients and reviewed other evidence on hydroxychloroquine.
WHO said that the use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 patients has been discontinued
The main investigators of the so-called Solidarity Drug Test had decided to stop the recruitment of new patients
Data from these studies has shown that hydroxychloroquine does not reduce the mortality of hospitalized COVID-19 patients, “the WHO statement said.
He said of the Solidarity Trial, the investigators would not add more patients to the arm hydroxychloroquine.
But he added: “Patients who had already started hydroxychloroquine, but who have not yet completed their course in the trial may complete their courses or stop at the discretion of the supervising physician.”
Data from the UK clinical trial conducted known as the Recovery Study revealed last week that the anti-malaria drug showed no benefit to patients with COVID-19.
JUST: Von der Leyen of the last warning – NOT a brexit affair without THIS
A statement released later on Wednesday, the WHO said the decision was based on evidence from the Solidarity Trial itself
The US Food and Drug Administration on Monday revoked its emergency use authorization for hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19, saying it was no longer reasonable to believe that hydroxychloroquine and the drug related with chloroquine would be effective in the treatment of the disease.
The drug has already been praised by US President Donald Trump, who called it a “game changer”.
Trump’s Vocal Support for hydroxychloroquine to be used as a treatment for coronavirus has launched a heated debate and raised expectations for the decades-old drug.
The drug has been praised as a cheap and widely available tool in the fight against the pandemic by the President of the United States.
DO NOT MISS
Brussels targets China and US in crackdown to protect EU businesses [SPOTLIGHT]
FBI major PLA arrest accused of stealing medical research [FOCUS]
WE whip ‘business kowtows’ cosying up to “bully” China[ANALYSIS]
The decision was also based on a UK-led trial that found the drug did not help COVID-19 patients and reviewed other evidence on hydroxychloroquine
The drug has already been praised by US President Donald Trump, who called it a game-changer.
The University of Minnesota researchers tested 821 people who had recently been exposed to the virus or lived in a high-risk home.
This is the first large study to compare hydroxychloroquine with placebo to assess its effect against the new coronavirus.
He found 11.8 percent of subjects given hydroxychloroquine developed symptoms consistent with COVID-19, compared to 14.3% who received a placebo.
This difference was not statistically significant, which means the drug was no better than placebo.
“Our data is clear enough that, after exposure, it isn’t really a job,” said Dr. David Boulware, the trial of the principal investigator and an infectious disease specialist at the University of Minnesota .
Several trials of the drug have been stopped over concerns about its safety for the treatment of COVID-19 which have been raised by health regulators and from the previous less rigorous studies.
“I think the two sides on one side say” this is a dangerous drug “and on the other side say” what works “- neither is correct,” said Boulware.
The results were also published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
Trump’s Vocal Support for hydroxychloroquine to be used as a treatment for coronavirus has sparked heated debate and raised expectations for the decades-old drug
The results come after Trump said hydroxychloroquine used in combination with an antibiotic, azithromycin had “a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine” in March.
However, the US President has little evidence to support this claim.
Later, he said he took the medication as a preventative after two people who worked at the White House were diagnosed with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus.
More than 20 percent of the test subjects also took zinc, which had no significant effect.