Travelers Championship: Denny McCarthy steps down after positive coronavirus test

0
10


Denny McCarthy is the third player to test positive for coronavirus since the resumption of the PGA Tour on June 11
-13 P Mickelson (United States); -12 W Gordon (United States), M Hughes (Can); -9 R McIlroy (NI), B Todd (United States), M Leishman (Aus), X Schauffele (United States), B Steele (United States).
Others selected: -8 B DeChambeau (United States); -7 D Johnson (United States); -6 L Donald (ing.), J Rahm (Spa); -5 S Lowry (Ire), P Casey (ing); -4 I Poulter (Eng).

Denny McCarthy of the United States withdrew from the travel championship before the start of Friday’s second round after testing positive for coronavirus.

Englishman Matt Wallace and American Bud Cauley, who played the first round with him, turned out to be negative, but Cauley also pulled out and Wallace missed the cup.

Their cadets have all tested negative.

US veteran Phil Mickelson has a one-stroke lead before the weekend in Connecticut after a score of seven under normal brought him to 13 cents.

American Will Gordon and Canadian Mackenzie Hughes follow the five-time 50-year-old major winner in second place, with world number one Rory McIlroy four hits behind with nine points behind his 68th second run.

However, Justin Rose missed the cup after a 73 Friday brought him to the same level, as did his fellow Englishmen Danny Willett and Matt Fitzpatrick and the Scot Russell Knox.

McCarthy, 27, is the third player to be positive since the PGA Tour restarted on June 11.

“I felt pretty tired and sore after yesterday’s round, but I didn’t think about it much because I practiced a lot from Monday to Wednesday,” said world number 180 McCarthy, who drew a 67 from three rounds below par.

“Last night I woke up in the middle of the night with aches and pains and I felt that something was wrong. “

As part of the PGA Tour response plan, 16 tests will be administered to those who have been in close contact with McCarthy.

McCarthy will self-isolate for 10 days, according to tour protocols.

Cauley, who tested negative twice on Friday, said he had withdrawn “out of prudence for my peers and everyone involved in the tournament.”

Nick Watney retired from RBC Heritage after a positive test last week, while Cameron Champ did it during a pre-tournament screening in front of the Travelers.

World number four Brooks Koepka and Northern Irishman Graeme McDowell also withdrew from the Cromwell, Connecticut tournament as a precaution after their cadets tested positive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here