The prime Minister of new Zealand Jacinda Ardern has ordered the military to monitor the border controls Wednesday, after the bungle that allowed two people with the coronavirus to leave the quarantine. 24-race of the day with no new cases have been broken on Tuesday, when it emerged two women who have recently arrived in Britain have been allowed out of quarantine early without being tested for the virus, even if it was slight symptoms.
The pair were eventually cleaned up and turned out to be infected, but only after you have done a 650 km (400 miles) road trip from Auckland to Wellington to see a dying relative.
Ardern said it was “absolutely absurd” they were not tested earlier and border controls clearly need to be tight to avoid such failures.
She said the Deputy Chief of the Defence Digby Webb had been appointed to oversee the border quarantine operations and being given access to military personnel and logistics expertise.
“My opinion is that we need rigour, we need confidence, we need the discipline that the army can provide,” Ardern told reporters.
The Minister of health David Clark acknowledged widespread anger at the blunder. The Kiwis endured a rigorous seven-week lock to eliminate the virus in the country which has registered 1,156 cases and 22 deaths in a population of five million dollars.
“New Zealanders have made great sacrifices to get to this point,” he told Radio New Zealand.
“Our system has played incredibly well together in New Zealand. We’ve eliminated the COVID-19, but I want to correct this right away. “‘ENVY OF THE WORLD ”
The South Pacific nation last week, scrapped, internal social, measures of distance, while maintaining a strong border controls.
The changes have announced a return to quasi-normality, with a number of sports events played in front of the counters of the stadiums, nightclubs open and thousands of gathering together for events such as the Black Lives Matter Demonstrations without restrictions.
Clark said that it was unacceptable that the errors committed at the border, which is now considered the first line of the fight against COVID-19, could put such gains at risk.
“We are the envy of the world in many ways and we want to continue to be the envy of the world,” he said.
New Zealand, the borders are open only for the return of Kiwis and their families, with a few exceptions for some foreigners on business and for reasons of compassion, with everyone expected to take two weeks of mandatory quarantine.
Officials say that there are about 3,500 people on the edge of the quarantine, most staying in hotels where they are supposed to stay isolated in their rooms and avoid social contact.
The program that has enabled recent arrivals to come out of the early isolation on humanitarian grounds has been suspended, and everyone in quarantine must test negative for the virus before they are allowed back into the community.
Ardern pointed out that the women at the centre of the tumult had done nothing wrong and complied with the health protocols at any time.
They remain in isolation in Wellington as health officials scramble to test, to approximately 320 people that they had been in contact with while in New Zealand.