When the football players at Ohio State are back on campus for voluntary training last week after discontinuation of the coronavirus, they had to sign an acknowledgement waiver of risk before participating.
The two-page document, obtained by The Dispatch through a public records request, describes the risks to health related to workouts and other sporting activities, and calls on the athletes to follow the strict protocols of health and safety implemented by the school.
Called “commitment Buckeye”, he asks the players to “commit to take responsibility for my own health and to help stop the spread of the COVID-19”.
[ Read the waiver the Buckeyes had to sign ]
The document goes on to warn the athletes that “although the university follows the directions on the coronavirus issued by the CDC and other experts to reduce the spread of the infection, I can never be completely safe from any risk of disease caused by the COVID-19, or other infections . ”
First-year students who had not attained the age of 18 years should sign the waiver by a parent or legal guardian.
In an interview with ESPN last Sunday, the sports director Gene Smith said that the resignation was more for educational purposes than the responsibility.
“We do not consider this as a legal document,” said Smith. “It is a commitment Buckeye. Let us help you so that if we are confronted with a situation, our coaches, our strength trainers, our coaches or directors of athletics to see a student-athlete not wearing a mask or without social distancing, we can say: “Hey, you made a commitment. You have signed a commitment. Your parents have signed a commitment. Your parents are part of it. “”
The footballers have been allowed, for the first time to use the Woody Hayes Athletic Center and the Schumaker Complex on 8 June. The basketball players male and female can resume workouts at the Schottenstein Center multipurpose venue, next week.
In the State of Michigan, the football players MSU, basketball male and female have been allowed to return to the accommodation in the campus on Sunday and train on Monday. The students of first year of football U-M have been allowed on the campus on Monday and the whole team should get together later this month.
The form mentions that the players who do not comply with the commitment may not be permitted to participate in sports activities or use the facilities on the campus. This does not affect their status as a scholarship, according to the document.
Since the NCAA has lifted its moratorium on voluntary training on campus this month, the schools have re-opened their facilities to the athletes and seek to organize activities football team as early as next month after a recommendation by the monitoring committee of the football division I for a pre-season expanded program.
As a condition for the return of the players on the campus, some schools have been asked to sign similar documents in which they agree to follow the health tips.
Indiana presented the expectations and the commitment of the participants to COVID-19 football players to sign before their return the next week.
The protocols that athletes from the State of Ohio had to follow, which include the submission to tests of coronavirus, the reporting of the exposure to the COVID-19, the disclosure of the symptoms of the virus, including a fever of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher, and maintaining at home if they feel sick.
The school also asks the players to “participate fully and honestly” with its personal sports training for contact tracing.
The USO said that they relied on the advice of the CDC and the Department of health of Ohio, among other health agencies, to establish its protocols.
A first series of tests COVID-19 was needed before the players of the football Buckeyes will not be allowed to use the facilities last week. If a player is positive, it should self-isolate for at least 14 days.
Ohio State has refused to publish data from tests, citing issues of medical confidentiality.
The reports of the staff of Free Press contributed to this report.
The commissioner of the Big Ten, Kevin Warren, addresses the media after you have cancelled the tournament in men’s basketball Thursday, march 12, 2020 at Indianapolis.
Detroit Free Press