Rosslyn retirement home accounts for one-third of COVID-19 deaths in Hamilton

0
94


Residents of the Rosslyn Seniors’ Residence now account for a third of all deaths from COVID-19 in Hamilton.Fourteen of the 42 people who have died from the virus in Hamilton so far lived in the private home near Gage Park. It is the site of the city’s deadliest epidemic.

The most recent death was in a 68-year-old man who died in hospital on June 8, according to public health.

The majority of Rosslyn residents were rushed to hospital when the home was evacuated on May 15 in the midst of an epidemic that infected all but two of the 66 residents and 22 staff.

Inspections by public health and the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority (RHRA) revealed problems with infection prevention and control and “the failure to protect residents from neglect”.

A more recent probe found mouse droppings, black mold and “fuzzy dust” in the home kitchen and resulted in its closure.

The Rosslyn did not respond to repeated calls and emails asking about home conditions, the epidemic, or the deaths of residents.

In a media update on Tuesday, Hamilton medical officer of health Dr. Elizabeth Richardson said the problems with the kitchen have since been fixed.

However, it is still not known when the house, associated with the Martino family, will be able to reopen. This is a troubling question for relatives of residents who remain in the hospital and wonder where they will go once they recover if the Rosslyn remains closed.

“At this point, we have open orders that are in place. In addition, additional requirements may be related to the Regulation of retirement homes, “said Richardson. “We continue to review and monitor the situation with RHRA. ”

RHRA said on Wednesday that it had no updates on the house or its plans to reopen.

Hamilton reported a total of 747 COVID-19 cases during the pandemic (740 positive, seven likely), two more than Tuesday.

Of these, 591 or 79% are considered resolved.

Ten staff members from Hamilton General Hospital’s COVID-19 unit infected with the virus represent the only ongoing outbreak in the city.

Niagara

No new cases of COVID-19 were identified in the Niagara region, the total remaining stable at 719.

Eighty-four of these cases are active, while 574 are resolved. Sixty-one people in the region have died.

Two institutional outbreaks are underway at the Albright Manor in Lincoln and Garden City Manor in St. Catharines.

Brant

The number of confirmed cases in Brant / Brantford increased by a Wednesday for a total of 116.

Of these cases, 104 are resolved and both are active. Four people in the county died.

Halton

The Halton region added another seven confirmed cases of virus and five other recoveries.

A total of 754 cases have been reported to date (684 confirmed, 70 probable), according to data shared by public health which also shows that 89 cases are active and 640 people have recovered. The virus killed 25 people.

Burlington, which has 20 active cases, identified 148 during the pandemic (133 confirmed, 15 probable).

Seven people from the city died, while 121 cases are resolved.

Haldimand-Norfolk

Haldimand-Norfolk statistics show that counties have 226 active COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, the same number as the day before.

A total of 397 people in the region have been infected with the virus. Among them, 140 have recovered and 31 have died.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here