Rogers Cup in Toronto postponed to 2021 due to COVID-19 pandemic

0
6


TORONTO – The Rogers Cup men’s tennis tournament will not be played in 2020 due to the COVID-19 crisis.

Tennis Canada said in a statement on Wednesday that the event’s start date will be extended to August 7, 2021.

The annual ATP Tour event, which takes place between Toronto and Montreal, was scheduled to take place August 8-16 at York University’s Aviva Center.

With the 2020 Rogers Cup Women’s Tournament in Montreal suspended earlier this month and postponed until next year in the same city, the men’s event will also continue in Toronto in 2021.

Tennis Canada said it plans to hold the event without fans, but decided against the idea due to travel restrictions and potential public health constraints.

“Organizing an in camera event is complex and requires the implementation of certain important health and operational protocols,” said Gavin Ziv, general manager of the Rogers Cup in Toronto, in the release. “We estimated that to organize and broadcast such a tournament, we would need to have up to 450 people on site.

“The safety of these people during the two weeks of the event would have been a concern for Tennis Canada and in the current context, the level of risk would have remained high, especially for a sport like tennis where athletes come from all regions of the world. In addition, at that time, federal law relating to access to our country and mandatory quarantine would require players to arrive in Canada well before the tournament started, which made things much more difficult. ”

Tennis Canada President and CEO Michael Downey said the organization absorbed a $ 17 million loss this year.

“Tennis Canada cannot afford to increase this deficit,” said Downey. “To date, there is no guarantee that a closed-door tournament would significantly mitigate these losses.”

Tennis Canada has declared that tickets purchased for the 2020 Rogers Cup will be valid at the 2021 tournament.

“I know that Tennis Canada worked hard and did everything possible to try to make an event behind closed doors, as I personally checked a few times to see how it was progressing,” said Canadian tennis star Milos Raonic in a press release. “It saddens me to know that I won’t be able to compete in my hometown in August, but I’m already looking forward to coming back in 2021 and playing in front of a packed house in Toronto.”

Founded in 1881 as the Canadian Championships, the men’s tournament takes place every year except in 1905, 1915 to 1918 (First World War) and 1941 to 1945 (Second World War).

This is the last major annual Canadian sporting event to announce that it will not go as planned due to COVID-19. The Queen’s Plate Horse Race, the RBC Canadian Open Golf Tournament and the Honda Indy Auto Race in Toronto, the Canadian Grand Prix Formula 1 Race and the Rogers Cup Women’s Tennis Tournament in Montreal, the Vanier Cup college football championship and the Calgary Stampede rodeo also won’t run on their scheduled dates.

All ATP Tour events up to July have been canceled or postponed.

The men’s tennis tournament has had many different names – the Canadian Open, the Maurier Open, the Player’s International, the Canada Masters and the Rogers Cup (since 2005).

Rafael Nadal of Spain has won the last two singles competitions of the Rogers Cup.

Robert Bedard, of Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec, is the most recent Canadian winner, winning the title in 1955, 1957 and 1958.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here