Quebec, Saskatchewan and Manitoba easing more COVID-19 restrictions; South Korea reports 17 new cases, the first time in its daily leap has come down to teenagers in almost a month

0
7


The last coronavirus news from Canada and around the world on Monday. This file will be updated throughout the day. Web links to longer stories if available.

7:36 a.m. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned that Israel may have to renew its lockout following an outbreak of coronavirus cases.

“” You have to flatten the curve now, “Netanyahu said, at the start of Sunday’s weekly cabinet session. “If we don’t change our behavior right away, and start wearing masks and keep a distance from each other, the ban on returning. None of us want that. ”

Netanyahu said he will hold a ministers’ meeting on Monday to decide what action should be taken. More than 20,000 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Israel, including more than 300 dead. The number of cases increased steadily from less than 17,000 a month ago, after the restrictions were significantly eased and many people ignored the instructions to wear masks and maintain social distance.

While the death toll has not spiraled, Netanyahu said the forecast, it was given over the weekend, was all “difficult”, without giving further details.

The Ministry of Health instructed hospital directors in a letter sent on Sunday to be ready to reopen the coronavirus pupils immediately, if necessary. The ministry also asked hospitals for updated instructions on personal protection for medical staff, noting that in addition to the increase in the number of coronavirus cases, there has been an increase in the number of staff members. who are in quarantine due to exposure to infected patients.

6:12 a.m .: Ottawa must spend at least $ 2.5 billion on child care $ 14 billion in federal funds announced this month to help provinces reopen safely in the wake of COVID-19, says a new report from the national defense organization.

The money, out of approximately $ 550 million already allocated to the provinces for child care this year, would begin to set the stage for Canada to build a long-awaited high-quality, affordable national child care system. children for all parents who need it, says the report, by Child Care Now, to be released on Monday.

“It took a public health crisis for the essential role of child care to be widely recognized, and for the fragility of child care in Canada to be exposed,” said the group, the executive director of Morna Ballantyne.

Read the Star Laurie Monsebraaten full story here.

5:15 a.m .: Quebec, Saskatchewan and Manitoba are all easing more restrictions from them in place to slow the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

In Quebec, which represents just over half of Canada’s COVID-19 case, is the reopening of several areas today, an impact on the Montreal region in particular.

Restaurants opened again in the greater Montreal area and Joliette areas, while indoor gatherings of up to 10 people from three households are now permitted in these areas, as they have been elsewhere in Quebec since the last week.

Day camps, as well as gymnasiums, stadiums, cinemas, concert halls and places of worship for the reopening of the whole province with a maximum capacity of 50 people inside the rallies.

Meanwhile, Saskatchewan is moving into Phase 4.1 of its reopening today, which allows camping in national parks to resume it, but only by reservation.

Youth reopening camps, but for day use only, and with guidelines for preventing the spread of COVID-19, including constant disinfection of play structures and monitoring of children for coronavirus symptoms.

5:08 a.m .: China has reported 18 new cases of coronavirus, including nine in Beijing and two in neighboring countries of Hebei Province. It was the first time in more than a week that the number had dropped to a single digit in an epidemic in the Chinese capital.

Previously, the city had reported more than 20 cases every day for eight days straight. The total number of cases since the first was confirmed on June 11 increased by 236.

3 am: South Korea has reported 17 new cases of COVID-19, the first time in its daily leap has come down to teenagers in almost a month. 40 to 50 cases per day increases in the past two weeks have occurred as long as people have increased their public activities, amid softened attitudes about social distance.

Get it later in your inbox

Don’t miss the latest Star news, including up-to-date coronavirus coverage, with our email newsletters

Register now

2:10 a.m .: The coronavirus is spreading in Pakistan into one of the highest in the world, and hospitals are overwhelmed diverting patients. But the government is moving forward with the opening of the country, trying to recover from a virtual collapse of the economy where millions of people have already fallen into poverty as a result of the pandemic of restrictions.

To further complicate the government’s dilemma, as the pins of its main hope for wiping out the virus’ rampage of social distance and masks, many in the public ignore calls to use them.

Millions of crowds, markets and mosques. The hard line of clerics tell followers of confidence that faith will protect them. Many call it a hoax virus. Even some government officials dismiss the warnings, saying: road accidents are killing more people.

Pakistan is a prime example of fragile developing countries who say they are just going to have to live with rising infections and deaths, because their economies cannot withstand a strict open lock.

But the rapid acceleration of infections in Pakistan this month could be an indicator of this fact against other countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America.

The rate of new cases in Pakistan jumped from almost 2,000-3,000 days in late May to 6,800 days in mid-June. Deaths are almost 150 a day. So far, more than 180,000 people have been infected in this $ 220 million country, and the government on Sunday said the total number of 1.2 million people in August. Authorities reported 3,590 deaths.

9:12 a.m .: An email from baseball commissioner Rob Manfred to the head union of Tony Clark has led to an improper feint in the endless discussions to start the season’s pandemic backlog.

The players ’association’s executive committee was put to vote and reject the Major League Baseball, the final offer for a 60-game season’ Sunday.

The players want 70 games and $ 275 million (US) more than the teams are saving. They are concerned that, if a resurgence of COVID-19 causes 2020 to be the short cut season, the deal being negotiated would be found in innovations for 2021 and lessening the union of bargaining power.

Among the elements of the proposed deal for 2020 and 2021 are the playoffs, the use of the designated hitter in games involving League teams and allowing advertisements on uniforms. In 2020, only the elements include starting additional heats with a runner in the second and a discussion of whether to allow the tie for play, after a total of tries, the more the player entered additional heats again.

8:01 a.m .: Iran’s health minister said on Sunday that the coronavirus epidemic in the country until 2022, the Isna news agency reported.

Health Minister Said Namaki said that, according to official estimates, the Iranians would “have to live with the coronavirus for another two years,” said the report.

After the number of new infections slowed in May, Iranian authorities began to lift the coronavirus-related restrictions. However, the fact that people took hygiene and social distance measures less seriously has led to a further increase in infections, authorities say.

More than 200,000 people have had or currently have the virus in Iran, with more than 9,500 after death as a result.

Click here to read the rest of Sunday’s cover.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here