Hello and welcome to Al Jazeera’s continued coverage of the coronavirus pandemic. I am Kate Mayberry Kuala Lumpur reports.
- According to Johns Hopkins University, worldwide coronavirus cases now exceed 10 million and more than half a million people have died from respiratory disease. The United States accounts for about a quarter of all deaths.
- US Secretary of Health Alex Azar has warned that the “window is closing” for decisive action to contain the virus as the number of cases increases.
Here are the latest updates:
Monday June 29
02:45 GMT – Boom in post-COVID UK school buildings
Prime Minister Boris Johnson must make plans for a 10-year reconstruction program for schools in England, a December election promise derailed by the coronavirus.
“As we rebound from the pandemic, it is important that we lay the foundation for a country where everyone can succeed, with our young generations at the heart of this mission,” said Johnson in a statement.
Johnson’s Conservatives returned to power with a large majority in December, occupying many seats that traditionally vote for the Labor Party, but its management of the pandemic has eroded its support.
British schools have suffered greatly from the severe spending cuts introduced after the 2009 financial crisis. More information on spending plans here.
02:30 GMT – “Absolutely worrying”: an increase in cases in the State of Victoria in Australia
The state of Victoria in southern Australia has found 75 new cases of coronavirus in the past 24 hours, which his chief medical officer Brett Sutton described as “absolutely cause for concern”.
The state has already started a trial blitz, but Sutton says that social distancing measures could also be reintroduced in the form of localized lockouts.
“We must do whatever is necessary to turn the tide,” he told reporters.
Monday’s daily cases are the highest in two months.
Victoria’s chief medical officer of health Brett Sutton said the 75 new cases of COVID-19 in Victoria were “absolutely cause for concern” and that the state of coronaviruses in the state would “get worse before they get better”. Learn more: https://t.co/ACsASb1uY7 pic.twitter.com/jiik92KuxX
– Age (@theage) June 29, 2020
02:00 GMT – China adds 12 new cases, compared to 17 on Sunday
China has reported 12 new confirmed cases of coronavirus, including five imported cases.
The seven household infections were all in Beijing.
About a third of the city’s 20 million people have been tested for the virus since an epidemic that hit the capital’s main wholesale food market on June 11.
The first two #Foton vehicles to facilitate # COVID-19[FEMALE[FEMININE nucleic acid tests have been implemented # BeijingChaoyang and Xicheng districts. Each vehicle has four sampling points and each point is capable of testing 100 people in one hour. pic.twitter.com/B02hDKSmLs
– Global Times (@globaltimesnews) June 29, 2020
01:45 GMT – Korea reports 42 new cases, concerned about clusters
The Korean Center for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) has announced 42 new cases of coronavirus, including 30 local ones.
This is lower than the figures reported this weekend, but the Yonhap news agency says that South Korean authorities are concerned about the persistence of clusters of infection, especially in churches.
South Korea announced a three-tier social distancing program on Sunday. The country is currently at level 1, the lowest level. It will go to level 2 if the number of cases exceeds 50 for 14 days.
00:30 GMT – The United States accounts for a quarter of the deaths while the global balance sheet exceeds half a million
The most recent figures from Johns Hopkins show that the death toll is now 501,206 since the first cases appeared in China late last year.
The United States accounts for about a quarter of all deaths. Here are the five countries that recorded the worst deaths:
- United States – 125,768
- Brazil – 57,622
- United Kingdom – 43,634
- Italy – 34,738
- France – 29,781
More than 10.1 million people have been diagnosed with the disease.
11:30 p.m. GMT (Sunday) – Los Angeles bars must close again after outbreak
Bars in Los Angeles and six other California counties – which together house about 13.5 million people – have been ordered to close again after an increase in coronavirus cases.
Bars reopened on June 19.
NEW: due to the increasing spread of # COVID-19[FEMALE[FEMININE, CA orders the closing of bars in Fresno, Imperial, Kern, Kings, Los Angeles, San Joaquin and Tulare, while recommending their closure in Contra Costa, Riverside, Sacramento, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Stanislaus and Ventura.
– Gavin Newsom (@GavinNewsom) June 28, 2020
Read yesterday’s (June 28) updates here.