The plan comes when the province announced that the annual grant per student to school boards next year will be $ 12,525 – a 2% increase, or $ 250 per student, in this school year. The amount of funding is critical to the school board budgeting process.
Ontario students have been out of the classroom since March 13 when the province’s efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19 began to intensify seriously.
In-person classes were canceled for the remainder of the current school year last month, but Lecce said at the time that he intended to reopen schools in the fall. He said the plan will include measures to ensure physical distance and restrict movement of students at school.
“It is obvious that the schools will not be the same, that we will have to rethink education in certain respects in September, since there will have to be protocol changes,” he said.
Earlier this week, a team of medical experts from Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto approved the students’ return to school and outlined several steps the province should take to keep children safe in the classroom.
The reopening guidelines provided by these experts to the province include additional hand hygiene, environmental cleaning and ventilation, and taking classes outdoors when possible – but without requiring masks for neither discourage close play.
178 new cases of COVID-19 reported
Meanwhile, Ontario reported an additional 178 cases of COVID-19 this morning as the number of hospital patients with confirmed new coronavirus infections continues to decline.
The new cases mark an increase of 0.5%, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the province to 33,095 since the start of the epidemic in late January.
This is the sixth day in a row that fewer than 200 new cases have been reported across the province.
There are now 2,281 active cases of COVID-19 in Ontario, according to data from the Ministry of Health.
Hospitalizations continue to drop steadily, decreasing by another 20 to 331, less than half the number on June 6.
Those treated in the intensive care unit also decreased from two to 82. Patients requiring the use of a ventilator, however, increased for the first time in several days, increasing from five to 65.
The official number of COVID-19 deaths in Ontario has increased by 11 and now stands at 2,564. A CBC News count based on data from regional public health units puts the current true number at 2605.
About 78% of all deaths in the province were residents of long-term care homes. Public health officials are monitoring active outbreaks in 79 facilities, six more than yesterday.
7 other regions are entering phase 2 of reopening
Today, more regions in Ontario are entering the second phase of the province’s reopening plan, including parts of the Greater Toronto Area.
York, Durham and Niagara are among the areas allowed to further open their economies, although Toronto, Peel and Windsor-Essex will remain in the first leg until at least next Friday.
As of Friday, most regions have been allowed to enter the second phase, with the exception of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton areas, some border regions of the United States and those where epidemics of COVID-19 have affected migrant workers.
The second stage of the reopening includes restaurant patios, hair salons and swimming pools.
As for the city of Toronto – which saw its 1,000th coronavirus death this week – Peel and Windsor-Essex, Ford urged patience.
He said the province will reassess the readiness of these regions on Monday.