Ontario Extends Emergency Orders Until June 19

0
100


Ontario is extending emergency orders for another 10 days, including banning people from dining in bars and restaurants and meeting in groups of more than five.The orders were due to expire on June 9, but the province announced today that they were extended until June 19.

They understand the closings, although Prime Minister Doug Ford has said that a plan to gradually reopen them will be announced early next week.

The extension of emergency orders also means the continuous closure of bars and restaurants, with the exception of takeout and delivery, libraries, with the exception of pickup or curbside delivery, and theaters.

Ontarians looking to use playgrounds or beat the heat in public pools and wading pools are out of luck due to extended orders.

“The extension of these emergency orders will give employers of primary care providers the flexibility to respond to COVID-19 and protect the vulnerable and the public as the province re-opens safely and gradually,” said the Ontario government in a news release Saturday morning.

In addition, the province says it is extending the suspension of statutes and time limits for court proceedings until September 11, ensuring that people “will not face legal consequences” if the initial time limits for their cases are not met. not respected while this ordinance is in force.

The news comes after Ontario’s state of emergency, which allows the government to issue emergency orders like these, was extended earlier this week until June 30.

344 new cases reported on Friday

Meanwhile, the province reported 344 new COVID-19 cases on Friday, representing a 1.2% increase in the total number of cases.

This increase brings the cumulative number of cases in Ontario to 29,747. Some 23,583 of these cases are considered resolved.

Ontario’s network of more than 20 laboratories processed 22,730 tests on Thursday, the largest number of days since the epidemic began in late January.

Watch Ontario fight to keep COVID-19 under control:

COVID-19 cases are on the rise again in Ontario, and while Premier Doug Ford says it is because of more testing, others say there are bigger problems to be resolved. 2:02

The official COVID-19 death toll in the province has increased by 15 and now stands at 2,372. A CBC News count based on data compiled directly from regional public health units estimates the actual number at least 2,430 at Saturday morning.

Just over 79% of deaths from COVID-19 were residents of long-term care homes. The province has followed outbreaks in 310 long-term care facilities, while 85 are still in progress – the least since mid-April.

The number of patients in Ontario hospitals with confirmed cases of COVID-19 decreased by 27 to 749. This was the least since April 12, when 738 patients with new coronavirus infections were hospitalized.

Those treated in intensive care units fell by three to 118, while patients requiring a ventilator remained unchanged at 94.

The province is expected to release its latest data at 10:30 a.m. (ET). Saturday.

Despite the constant number of new cases, Ford says it will release details next week of the second phase of loosening pandemic restrictions in Ontario.

Although Stage 2 does not begin immediately after the details are revealed, Ford says the province will give notice to companies that will get the green light to reopen.

“We encourage companies to prepare to reopen. So when the time comes, they will be able to protect employees, consumers and the general public, “Ford said in a statement on Saturday.

Meanwhile, thousands of people took to the streets of downtown Toronto on Friday to protest anti-black racism – you can read more about it here.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here