North Korea suspends plan to increase the military pressure on South | North Korea

0
70


Kim Jong-un has suspended plans to increase the military pressure on South Korea, in a surprise move that comes after weeks of tensions on the peninsula.

The North Korean leader vetoed the measures that are supposed to be included in the redeployment of troops cared for the border between the two countries, apparently in retaliation for Seoul’s inability to prevent the defector groups from sending propaganda leaflets into the North.

Kim took the decision at a meeting of the ruling party of the central military commission, whose members have discussed plans to “strengthen” the North Korea “war of deterrence” and “took stock of the situation”, the official KCNA news agency said on Wednesday.

No reason was given for the decision, but some experts have speculated that the regime has decided to row back on his threats to give the South the opportunity to offer concessions.

These could include the reopening of the industrial complex of Kaesong, once a symbol important to the cross-border cooperation, or the resumption of South Korean tours to the Mount Kumgang resort.

It would be difficult for Seoul to kick-start projects, however, without violating the international sanctions imposed on Pyongyang over its nuclear program and ballistic missile programs.

North Korea had been expected to increase the pressure on his neighbor, shortly after having broken inter-Korean hotlines and blew up a liaison office put in place in 2018, in order to foster better bilateral relations.

The Pyongyang regime has expressed his anger with regard to the project by defector groups in the South to send leaflets critical of the regime of Kim, with the rice and other items across the country’s land and maritime borders, describing them as a violation of 2018 agreement to cease “all hostile acts”.

She would also look forward to more of the lack of progress in the nuclear negotiations with the united states. Last year’s summit between Kim and Donald Trump in Hanoi broke down after leaders disagreed on the measures the North must take before Washington agreed to ease sanctions.

Last week, Kim’s influential younger sister, Kim Yo-jong, threatened unspecified retaliation, while the North of the general staff, suggested that he would send troops to the Mount Kumgang and Kaesong, located near the heavily armed border.

In addition, the general staff threatened to resume border guard posts that had been abandoned under the 2018 agreement, reached during a summit between Kim Jong-un, and the South Korean president, Moon Jae-in.

There was speculation that North Korea would also be the launch of its own propaganda war by bombing South Korea with millions of leaflets. And on Tuesday, media reports said that the North had installed loudspeakers along the border that had been removed after the Kim-Moon summit.

38 North website, which monitors North Korea, the assumption that the rise of anti-Southern rhetoric in recent weeks had given the plan “just enough room to defuse”, but added that the easing prospects remained slim.

“Even if North Korea can avoid a serious escalation of tensions, it is still unlikely to pursue diplomacy with the Moon of directors at any time in the near future,” he said in a commentary, adding that Pyongyang could instead direct its criticism toward the united states.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here