NO new coronavirus deaths have been reported in the south of England in the past 24 hours.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock hailed the “milestone” and said it was clear that the disease was “retreating across the country”.
⚠️ Read our live coronavirus blog for the latest news and updates
No deaths have been reported in London, in the south-east and south-west of England.
It is the first time since the start of the pandemic that no deaths from Covid-19 have been recorded in the capital – which is about two or three weeks ahead of the rest of the country.
NHS England has said that “a small number of people” have died in the city but that they will be “announced in the coming days”.
Latest NHS figures show today that there have been seven deaths in the south-east and two in the south-west – but they occurred last week and were included in today’s figures .
There is usually a data lag this weekend when fewer deaths are officially registered – which is why the numbers are usually lower on Sunday and Monday.
They usually tend to increase later in the week – which means it’s likely to be higher tomorrow.
This is due to the fact that the UK has had its smallest increase in coronavirus deaths since before the lockout after 59 more deaths today, bringing the total to 40,597.
The number is also less than 100 for the second consecutive day, confirmed the Ministry of Health.
Positive cases in the UK only increased from 1,205 to 287,399 – again the lowest since Boris Johnson imposed the restrictions.
Today’s daily death toll of 59 is the lowest since the day before the lockout began on March 23, when it was 35.
Glimmer of hope
It brings new hope to many residents of the capital, which has registered 6,026 coronavirus-related deaths.
Earlier NHS data had revealed that there had been a death attributable to Covid-19 in London every day since March 10.
And at its peak, more than 1,000 patients were fighting for their lives every day in London’s intensive care units.
Now that the number has dropped by about two-thirds and by June 1, St. Thomas Hospital has not reported any deaths related to Covid-19 over a 48-hour period.
New evidence suggests that many hospitals in London no longer have Covid-19 patients in the ICU or just a handful.
Even the big university hospitals – at the center of the fight to save lives – still have few patients.
We know that we cannot declare victory and that no one should be complacent, but we have weathered a storm and faced what has been thrown at us.
director of the ICU
The director of an intensive care unit, who did not want to be named, said: “We have not had any Covid patients for a few weeks and I have been able to take a few weeks off.
“We have more than 150 survivors and we will start checking them in the outpatient clinics from next week.
“We know we cannot declare victory and that no one has to be complacent, but we have weathered a storm and faced what has been thrown at us. ”
At Guy’s and St Thomas’s Hospital – where Prime Minister Boris Johnson was in intensive care – only a handful of patients would remain in an intensive care unit that had treated more than 60 patients.
Official NHS data covering the past two months for London shows that at the height of infection in the city there were more than 400 intensive care patients in south London, as well as wards filled with hundreds of patients less seriously ill.
Last week’s staff at the NHS’s South London intensive care network was just over 100, down 75% from its peak six weeks ago.
In North London, the number of patients still in intensive care is 200, down 300 from a peak of over 500.
Overall, just last weekend, just under three hundred Covid-19 patients remained in London’s intensive care units
There were concerns when Northwick Park Hospital in north London was overwhelmed at the start of the pandemic and issued a red alert that it could no longer admit casualties to its intensive care unit.
The Royal Free Hospital, which came close to a major oxygen crisis with so many patients needing ventilation in intensive care, is slowly recovering with only 22 patients occupying what was a 66-bed unit.
His fight to save lives was featured last month in the BBC hospital series, as was the nearby UCLH intensive care unit, which also has only a handful of ICU patients.
At neighboring Whittington Hospital, only two patients are ventilated on 22 available beds.
But doctors know that the capital, with its large population and density close to the city center, could easily be the victim of a second wave.
NHS bosses refused to provide detailed figures, hospital by hospital, of people still in intensive care, fearing that the public would become complacent.
The best experts fear that there may be a second wave in the capital due to the relaxation of the public.
Professor John Edmunds, who sits on the SAGE government’s science committee and said last week that he was opposed to further easing the lock, added a note of caution.
He said, “This is great news. But we don’t want to go back to having our intensive care rooms filled with patients struggling to fight Covid.
“Therefore, we must all respect the rules of social distance and we only relax them more if it is safe and the incidence of new cases has decreased. ”
Dr Joe Groves, a member of a team of Covid-19 student virologists at University College London, said: “It is a reward for anyone who follows the instructions during the lockdown. It has helped reduce the infection rate in the capital.
“It is so important that in the next step we respect the new rules and avoid the temptation to change them.
“If we do not respect what we have been told, there is a real danger of a second wave. And it could be worse than the first wave. “
The battle is not won
The regions believed to have been the hardest hit by the virus today are the Midlands, where 16 deaths have been reported.
Fourteen have been reported in the north-west, 11 in the north-east and Yorkshire, nine in the east of England, seven in the south-east and two in the south-west.
So far in the UK, the virus has killed more than 40,000 people and the capital has seen 6,026 deaths since the start of the pandemic.
Today, however, marks the second consecutive day that no new deaths from coronavirus have been reported in Scotland or Northern Ireland.
In total, there were 59 new deaths in England and three more in Wales.
The last time this number was below 55 was for the 24-hour to 5-hour period on March 21, when the total number of reported deaths was 35.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock said this afternoon: “Unfortunately, we expect more deaths in the future, not least because the numbers recorded this weekend are generally lower.
“In addition, 55 dead is still 55 too many. ”
The data provided by the NHS is not, however, a real-time snapshot of the number of people killed in the past 24 hours.
THE FEAR OF DAD
British dad whose daughter disappeared in Germany fears Maddie suspect kidnapped
British holidaymakers will be able to travel freely across Europe from July
Hotel employee slip “lets Maddie know she’d be alone in a vacation apartment”
Mom questioned by cops to “use her sick son’s £ 10,000 charity fund for a boob job and a car”
Fears a freemason mom missing at sea “was already DEAD” in the last photo
This is the number of new deaths reported to various health authorities during this period, regardless of when the deaths actually took place.
Deaths can take several days to be recorded and processed before appearing in these particular numbers – so be careful when reading the daily changes too much.
The total number of deaths involving Covid-19 in the UK, based on the deaths where Covid-19 was mentioned on the death certificate – including suspected cases – is close to 51,000.
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS – STAY IN KNOWLEDGE
Don’t miss the latest news and figures – and essential tips for you and your family.