China has said it does not want to see more violence on the border with India following Monday. Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian reiterated that China was not to blame for the shock, and said the whole border situation is stable and controllable.
According to Indian authorities, no shots were fired, but soldiers were struck with batons and stones during a fight that broke out between the two sides of the remote Galwan Valley, high in the mountains where India’s the Ladakh region, the borders of China from Aksai Chin to the east.
The foreign ministry official said there have been casualties on both sides, but China has not released the casualties so far.
Modi, who took power on a nationalist platform, met with his defense and foreign ministers and military leaders last Tuesday, but he still had to speak publicly about the worst clash between the two countries. since 1967, five years after China humiliated India in a war.
Modi was elected for a second five-year term in May 2019 following a campaign focused on national security after the spiral of tensions with the former enemy of Pakistan, West India border .
“The gloves are off, with the Galwan of the shock valley, China has grown too hard,” the Times of India wrote in an editorial. “The India must grow back.”
“Beijing cannot kill our soldiers at the border and expect to benefit from our vast market,” he continued, advocating sanctions against Chinese imports.
Faced with what may be his biggest foreign policy challenge since coming to power in 2014, Modi has refrained from commenting publicly on the incident as a clamor of rising action during the current day.
“Why is PM silent, why is it hidden,” Rahul Gandhi, opposition leader, the Congress Party tweeted. “Enough is enough, We need to know what happened. How dare China kill our soldiers, how dare they take our land. ”
Hundreds of Indians and Chinese troops in front of each other since the beginning of May, in three or four places in the uninhabited high altitude deserts of Ladakh.
India claims that Chinese troops have entered its side of the Line of Effective Control or de facto the border.
China rejects the allegation and asked India not to build roads in the region, saying it is on its territory.
According to Indian government sources, the fighting from Monday to Tuesday broke out during a meeting to discuss ways to defuse tensions, and the colonel commanding the Indian side was one of the first to be struck and you are.
Many other Indian soldiers who died died from their injuries after being unable to survive the night in freezing temperatures.
Unlike India, the incident did not receive wall-to-wall coverage in China, where official media reported a statement on the incident from Chinese Army Command spokesperson the West.
On social media, bloggers and media from the Aggregation of Indian Shared Platforms media reports, such as the Indian Army announcement acknowledging that the death toll has increased to 20.
Most ardent to the Global Times, an article published by the country’s official newspaper, the Communist Party.
Its editor, Hu Xijin, has taken national and global social media platforms to roar in India, saying: “Indian public opinion must remain sober” and warned that China has not not afraid of a confrontation.
For a graph on India, China, the border clash in the Galwan of the Valley:
Reporting by Sanjeev Miglani, additional reports by Tony Munroe in Beijing; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore and Raju Gopalakrishnan
Our Principles:Thomson Reuters Confidence In Principles.