If you want the State Pension payment this is how many years you need to work


The amount of the State Pension people will receive depends on how long they have been making National Insurance (NI) contributions towards it.The current qualifying age for State Pension is 65 for men and women.

However, the Government of the united KINGDOM in the process of the lifting of the State of the Retirement age, and from October the year 2020, the world will reach the State Retirement age to 66.

It is also expected to increase to 68 in the years to come.

But, how many years of NI contributions do you need to do in order to qualify for the full one, the ” new ” State Pension?

You will be able to claim the new State Pension if you are:

How many years of NI contributions do you need to receive from the State amount of the Pension?

You will need at least 10 qualifying years on your NI record to get a Pension from the State and they do not have to be 10 qualifying years in a row.

This means that for 10 years at least one or more of the following applies to you:

If you have lived or worked abroad, you may still be able to get some new State Pension.

You may also be eligible if you’ve paid married women’s or widows-reduced rate contributions – find out more about this on the Gov. uk website here.

You will need 35 years of qualifying service to get the new full State Pension if you do not have to register prior to 6 April 2016.

For the people who have contributed between 10 and 35 years, they have a right to a part of the new State Pension.

Qualifying years if you work

When you work, you pay NI and get a qualifying year if:

You may not have to pay NI contributions because you’re earning less than £183 a week. You can still get a qualifying year if you earn between £120 £183 a week for an employer.

Qualifying years if you are not working

You can get NI credits, if you can’t work – for example because of illness or disability, or if you are a caregiver or you are unemployed.

You can get NI credits if you:

If you are not working or getting NI credits

You may be able to pay voluntary NI contributions if you are not in one of these groups, but you want to increase your State Pension amount. Learn more about the Gov’t. uk website here.

What to do if there are gaps in your NI record?

You can have gaps in your NI record and get the full new State Pension.

You can get a State Pension statement which will tell you the amount of State Pension you can get. You can then apply for a OR statement from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to check if your record has gaps.

If you have gaps in your NI record that would prevent you from getting the full new State Pension, you may be able to:

Check your Insurance record, here.

Check your legal age of Retirement

Check your state Pension age by using the free Govt. uk online tool here.

This will tell you :

  • when you reach the State Retirement age
  • your Pension Credit qualifying age


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here