Grigor Dimitrov tests positive for the COVID-19 after the onset Djokovic tournament

0
6


Grigor Dimitrov said on Sunday said that he has been tested positive for COVID-19, making him the highest-profile tennis player to reveal that he has contracted the virus.The 29-year-old Bulgarian had been competing in the Tour Adria exhibition tournament in Croatia until he withdrew because of feeling ill during the weekend.

The final of the Croatia of the event in the seaside town of Zadar, the second stop on the tour which would have featured world number one Novak Djokovic and Russian Andrey Rublev, has been cancelled due to.

“I want to reach up and let my fans and friends know that I tested positive back in Monaco for COVID-19,” former world number three Dimitrov wrote on Instagram.

“I want to ensure that any person who has been in contact with me during these last days is tested and takes the necessary precautions.

“I’m so sorry for any damage I may have caused. I’m back at home now and the recovery. Thank you for your support and please stay safe and in good health. ”

Goran Ivanisevic, the director of the tour of Zadar leg and Djokovic, the coach, was greeted with jeers from the fans when he broke the news courtside.

“We have been informed that Grigor Dimitrov has been tested positive for the coronavirus and we need to call off the final round of the tournament in Zadar,” he said.

“Unfortunately, we had to make the decision that we don’t want someone else to catch the virus. ”

Dimitrov is out of the tournament on Saturday after he experienced discomfort following his opening singles match against croatia’s Borna Coric.

The players did not follow the rules of social distancing

With international tennis suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Djokovic has organized the Tour Adria as a charity event intended to be contested on four feet through the former Yugoslavia.

Austria’s world number three Dominic Thiem has won the first round in Belgrade, with a capacity of 4,000 crowd turned on each day at Djokovic tennis centre by the Danube river.

With Serbia and Croatia, the easing of the locking action weeks before the event, the players were not required to observe the rules of social distancing in the two countries and were seen embracing on the net at the end of their matches.

The Fans in Croatia, however, are subject to the rules and keep their distance, which means that the 9,000 capacity Visnjik tennis complex was half full for the event.

The third step due to the Montenegro, on 27 and 28 June was cancelled last week on the coronavirus concern during the last stage, scheduled for July 3 and 4 in Bosnia Banja Luka, has been cancelled, according to broadcaster Eurosport.

Djokovic, the brother of Djordje, the director of the whole of the Adria Round of the series, has said everyone who has been in contact with Dimitrov should be tested for COVID-19 in the next few hours.

“After receiving the news, we have taken all the measures provided for by the Croatian government and all those who have had contact with Grigor will be tested,” he said in a courtside interview.

Ivanisevic added: “It was a huge shock. I tested negative three days ago, while I was in Grigor nearby, and despite the bad news, I would like to thank the Djokovic family to make the effort. ”

As well as Djokovic, Coric, Dimitrov and Rublev, also competing in the eight-man Zadar field were world number seven Alexander Zverev, the former U.S. Open champion Marin Cilic, Pedja Krstin and Danilo Petrovic. Nino Serdarusic was written as Dimitrov replacement.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here