Expressing his deep sadness, the French Minister of Defense wrote: “It was a heavy blow for the soldiers, their families and the nation. In these difficult circumstances, I wish to express my unwavering and friendly support, as well as that of the French armed forces. . – Please accept my sincere condolences to the entire Indian armed forces and to the bereaved families. ”
The Minister of the French Armed Forces has also declared herself ready to meet Rajnath Singh in India, at his invitation, to follow up on their ongoing discussions.
The confrontation took place late in the evening and on the night of June 15 in the Galwan Valley following an attempt by Chinese troops to “unilaterally change” the status quo during the de-escalation in eastern Ladakh.
Several countries mourned the killing of 20 Indian army soldiers by Chinese troops in the Galwan Valley, but refrained from condemning the Chinese action.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a tweet, “We extend our deepest condolences to the Indian people for the lives lost as a result of the recent confrontation with China. We will remember the families, relatives and communities of the soldiers during their mourning. ”
The US State Department said earlier that it is “closely monitoring” the situation and supported a peaceful resolution to the conflict.
Tensions have accumulated along the LAC region following violent clashes between hundreds of Indian and Chinese soldiers in the Sikkim and Ladakh areas in May. Senior army officers from both sides held several meetings along the disputed border but were unable to break the deadlock.