Defendant flees to France after being charged with attempted murder in British Columbia – BC News


A Quebecer who fled to France two and a half years ago after being charged in Victoria with two counts of attempted murder was denied bail for the second time in six weeks.

Sébastien Normandin, 49, will remain in detention at the Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Center until his trial before a judge and jury in British Columbia. Supreme Court.

No trial date has been set. A two-day preliminary investigation was scheduled to take place on May 25 and 26, but has to be postponed due to the virus.

Normandin, 49, was originally arrested on December 27, 2016, after allegedly using his car to drive in the parked car of his former girlfriend and new boyfriend on Gillespie Place in the Rockland district of Victoria.

Normandin is also charged with dangerous motor vehicle driving, criminal harassment and assault against his ex-girlfriend in 2014 and assault causing bodily harm to his ex-girlfriend in 2015.

In April, Normandin asked for bail in Victoria Provincial Court, but was refused. During the hearing, Crown Attorney Jess Patterson and defense counsel Jordan Watt commented by telephone due to the COVID-19 crisis. The observations and the decision of Judge Adrian Brooks cannot be reported because they are protected by a publication ban.

On Monday, Normandin filed for bail review in British Columbia. Supreme Court and again failed. There is a prohibition on the arguments and evidence presented at the hearing, as well as on the reason why judge Robert Johnston selected Normandin.

After his initial arrest in December 2016, Normandin remained in detention until May 30, 2017. Judge Jennifer Barrett agreed to release him on $ 5,000 bail on the condition that he fly to Montreal to live there.

Normandin was originally to live at a specific address in Montreal and report to the police in person.

In mid-October 2017, a Montreal psychologist who treated Normandin as part of his bail conditions informed the supervisor of Saanich’s bail that Normandin had missed an appointment. The bail supervisor contacted Montreal police, who discovered that Normandin had not signed since October 15.

On October 21, 2017, police obtained a photograph of Normandin passing customs at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport while he was boarding a flight to England.

He went to France the day of his arrival in England.

Interpol began to search for him and published his photo and physical details online.

Normandin remained active on Facebook and Twitter after being released on parole, and Victoria police found him using tracking software and search warrants.

Three Victoria police detectives went to Paris to arrest Normandin and take him back to Canada.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here