Britain’s longest Covid-19 victim finally home after 92 days in the hospital


Britain’s longest Covid wrestler Steve White has said today how he is overjoyed to be home after an amazing 92 days in the hospital.The dad of two came within a whisker of death when he was given a one per cent chance of survival.

But her children begged the doctors to give him a few more days on the ventilator and he has surprised all.

Steve, 56 years of age, went to the hospital on the 19th of March, four days before the lock and does not return to the house on Thursday.

He said this evening: “I want to give hope to other seriously ill people with Covid and their families. Never give up the fight.”

In mid-April, the doctors have told his family that he had a few hours to live.

But it has begun to mobilize when his children made a moving call to him while he was in an induced coma.

Steve, 56 years of age, went to the hospital on the 19th of March, four days before the lock and does not return to the house on Thursday

He said: “They never gave up on me. I owe my life to them and to the incredible NHS. All the staff of the hospital were calling me a miracle and a hero, but they are the real heroes. It was their expertise and care he has kept me in life.

“It doesn’t matter how hard you fight if you don’t have the experts on the other side.”

Steve has spent 67 days in the intensive care unit – 63 of them hooked up to a ventilator before having intensive physio to learn to walk again.

Two-thirds of coronavirus victims are placed in the fan are dead.

In March, when Steve has been admitted, the average Covid patient spent eight days in the hospital. Steve, who teaches swing, jive, remember a few things about his three-month ordeal.

He said: “The last thing I remember is being in the ambulance and at the bottom of the ramp to the hospital.”

Some 43 days after it was first placed on the ventilator and in an induced coma, he opened his eyes.

Steve has spent 67 days in the intensive care unit – 63 of them hooked to a fan

“The next thing I knew, four pairs of eyes were looking at me and their faces were covered with surgical masks.

“It was scary. I had no idea what was going on. They have tried their best to calm me down. I tried to talk to him about that, but I couldn’t because I had had a tracheotomy a tube down my throat.”

Steve fell ill on 15 March 55 when the British lost their lives to the disease. Since then, more than 42, 000 deaths. He said: “I felt I was not well and had a bit of cough but it was nothing to write home about.

“Thursday, I felt very bad and my daughter-in-law called me.” Steve, Bromyard, Herefordshire, was taken to the Hospital of the County of Hereford and put on oxygen after the daughter-in-law of Lorna Townsend, 38, called an ambulance.

He said: “I don’t remember this, but I had to face, because I later found the text messages on my phone when I had told family and friends, I was in the hospital. I am told that in 24 hours, I was struggling to breathe so badly, I was begging to be sedated.

Steve is now staying with the parents while his wife Liz, 54 (left( who has dementia, is looked after in a residential home

“The nurses told me that they had to see me in about five days, but it didn’t quite turn out like that.”

Daughter Charlotte Metcalfe, 33 years old, and his son, Julian White, 29, is facing anxiety daily wait for news as they have not been able to visit because of the virus.

Callum, an electrician, said: “The nurses were wonderful and let us call two times a day so he could listen to our voices on speaker phone and they read e-mails of your friends, but not physically seen, has been terrible.”

April 18, Charlotte, a trainee nurse, and Callum have been called to the hospital after suffering seizures.

Julian said: “The consultant says things are not good, and even if he does, they didn’t know if he would be able to do it all by himself.

“Every day, the chances get thinner and the doctor said that Dad was now in had only one percent chance of survival. They spoke of the end-of-life medicine. We do not want to let them go, so we begged the consultant to give him a few more days on the weekend to see if it got better.”

Steve with his wife Liz on their wedding day

The turning point came after Charlotte has made an emotional phone call from his father by the nurses and played one of his favorite swing songs called missing You.

Charlotte said: “It was a really emotional appeal. Within 24 hours, the doctors saw an improvement.

“They said that it was like a super-hero recovery, and it had a ighting chance. We were simply blown away.”

And 43 days after on a fan, Steve has been able to spend small amounts of time outside. Four days later, he made a moving appeal to his children after doctors placed a speaking valve on his tracheostomy.

Charlotte said: “It was the best phone call ever. Dad could not say much because he was very tired, but just to hear him say hello was amazing. Later, he told us that he was absent from his wife and his dog Mikki.”

Steve was taken off his ventilator on May 21 – 63 days after it was initially under sedation and has been found in the garden of the hospital with his children who have been shocked by his three-stone weight loss.

Steve White

Julien said: “He looked 30 years older than him. I am pretty lean boy, but I was taking the mickey, saying that he had little parakeets in the arm. It is not that skinny for a long period of time – say, he enjoyed his pudding in the hospital when he was finally able to eat properly.”

Steve has been sent to the normal of the parish of Hereford and then Leominster Community Hospital for intensive physiotherapy sessions.

The staff applauded when he left. He is now trying to do the physio at home, but otherwise very good.

Top news stories-Mirror Online

Steve is not the only British to spend months on the ventilation but is supposed to be the united KINGDOM, the longest of the coronavirus patients in the hospital. John Betts, 59, has left the hospital in Northampton after reaching a record of 65 days on the device.

Steve is now staying with the parents while his wife Liz, 54 years old, suffering from dementia, is looked after in a residential home. He said: “in Spite of dementia. it still
remembers how to jive and I’m looking forward to having him in my arms again.”

Shirley Collins, the first sister in the hospital to the community, said: “It was absolutely amazing. It is a bit of a miracle.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here