Read the full statement below:
“The US Open will always have a very special place in my heart. Arthur Ashe is where I won my first Grand Slam title and I cherish so many unforgettable moments at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, “said the 20-year-old. “Since then, we have seen sport, and the world as we know it, come to a halt due to the spread of COVID-19. I cannot stress enough that the health and safety of not only the players but of everyone involved in making tennis happen again this season is, and has always been, of the utmost importance . I have no doubt that the USTA has come up with the best plan to keep us safe as we await the return of tennis in 2020. The decision I know was not taken lightly and I am completely supportive and understand all players personal opinions on the subject and their level of travel comfort from near and far to compete in the world of the biggest scene. Returning to life as we knew it is no longer an option, but, I plan to make the most of the opportunity to get back on the court, re-connect with players and friends and i ‘hope to bring tennis back to millions of fans around the world safely. ”
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Tuesday the US Open can go ahead as planned starting in August. 31 of Sept. 13, but without the fans.
However, many players have since come forward with their concerns, including Canadian doubles players Gabriela Dabrowski.
Andreescu, of Mississauga, Ont., Had a superb campaign in 2019, the success of Indian Wells and the Toronto Rogers Cup, in addition to his victory at the US Open.
Currently ranked sixth in the world, Andreescu was forced to withdraw from this year’s Indian Wells tournament in March due to a long left knee injury. The tournament was canceled shortly after due to COVID-19 and tennis has not gotten back into action since.