YUMA, AZ (3TV / CBS5) – One child died in Yuma County from COVID-19, becoming the first pediatric death in Arizona from the virus, according to Yuma County health officials. The age of the child has not been given. Heath officials say the child also suffered from multiple serious underlying health problems.
450 people died of coronaviruses in Arizona with 9,952 cases across the state
“It is our greatest regret to share the news of the first pediatric death related to COVID-19 in Arizona,” said Diana Gomez, director of the public health district of Yuma County. with each resident. We are heartbroken and express our deepest sympathy to the child’s friends and family. To protect the family’s privacy during this incredibly difficult time, no other information about the child will be released. “
Latest Arizona Coronavirus News: Arizona Family Newsroom Updates
Yuma County health officials have also reminded the public that the best way to prevent the disease is to avoid exposure. It is believed that the virus is mainly spread from person to person between people who are in close contact with each other (within 6 feet). This occurs through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. The important preventive steps are:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- It is especially important to wash your hands after using the toilet; before eating; and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid close contact (within 6 feet) with others.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) and immediately throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Consider wearing cloth face covers, if they can be safely managed, in public places where other physical distance measures are difficult to maintain.
- Maintain advice on distance activities
- Wash items, including washable plush toys, as applicable and in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If possible, wash the items using the warmest water setting appropriate for the items and dry them completely.
Copyright 2020 KPHO / KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.