Luca Zaia, Governor of Veneto, said that the world’s oldest film festival, which was to take place from September 2 to 12, is still underway. Official confirmation comes a few days after the Venice Biennale, which oversees the film festival among a number of other artistic events, moved its Architecture Biennale in 2021, but maintained the film festival’s fall dates . Previously, architecture and film festivals had to overlap.
Zaia said on Sunday that the Architecture Biennial had been postponed due to complications in the construction of the necessary pavilions. The film festival will continue, although he warned that there will likely be fewer films this year.
Venice interviewed a wide range of film industry leaders in early May to share their concerns and suggestions for the next edition, as reported Variety. The letter, signed by Venice artistic director Alberto Barbera, aimed to assess the number of filmmakers, actors and producers wishing to attend the festival.
“We know that it would be simply impossible to plan a festival without knowing if you are all ready to use the Festival to give a new start and a strong sign to keep the cinema alive, even in these difficult times”, wrote Barbera. The letter also asked producers and sales agents about “the concrete possibility of bringing (talent) to accompany the guest films.”
Obviously, the organizers – who were due to make a decision in late May – are now confident that the festival can go as planned, although the appearance of the event will be different this year because public health protection measures must be taken into consideration. The festival has yet to comment on plans for September.
Venice had previously stated that it would not go on the virtual route, but made it clear in its industry survey that it envisaged a “virtual projection room, using a secure online platform” for those who will not be able to attend but who have already been accredited. . In January, the festival revealed that Cate Blanchett would be president of the jury.
Italy will reopen its borders for European travelers on June 3, waiving mandatory quarantine restrictions for inbound travel. The country, which was among the hardest hit by coronaviruses in Europe, has been slowly released from solitary confinement in recent weeks, although it has reported 32,785 deaths to date.