The transportation authority said it would lay off 1,500 workers and suspend more than 40 additional bus routes later this month.
However, he reversed these decisions after the release of the province’s restart plan, outlined on Wednesday by Premier John Horgan. This plan provides for a gradual reintroduction of services, the second phase to begin after the long Victoria Day weekend. This includes public transportation services.
– John Ackermann (@jackermann) May 8, 2020
“This is another important step forward to revitalize the economy of British Columbia and Metro Vancouver. The transit service provided by TransLink is essential to the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in our region, “said Kevin Desmond, CEO of TransLink, in a statement.
“We will be ready to provide a safe and reliable transit service when people return to work. We are proud to partner with the Province of British Columbia. to provide transit service is there like the
the economy is recovering. “
TransLink previously estimated that it was losing $ 75 million a month due to an 83% drop in ridership during the pandemic.
He envisioned service cuts in addition to those announced last month, when nearly 1,500 workers were laid off and bus lines, SkyTrain, SeaBus and West Coast Express were cut.
TransLink previously cut executive salaries and board salaries by 10% and postponed major highway projects and service extensions, while spending reserves.
The province and TransLink continue to call on the federal government for a national solution to the challenges facing public transit systems.