TransLink, which serves greater Vancouver, says temporary plexiglass and vinyl barriers will be added to all buses by June 1, allowing drivers to resume collecting fares at the front of buses, according to a statement sent Monday by the transport authority.
“We have managed to find an innovative solution that ensures the safety of our bus operators, while enabling secure fare collection,” said TransLink CEO Kevin Desmond.
TransLink also said the move would recover the company about $ 2 million a month as it resumes fare collection on the bus network, which was halted in mid-March in support provincial physical distance guidelines.
BC Transit, which operates public transit systems in 130 communities outside of Greater Vancouver, including inland and Vancouver Island, also stopped charging fares in mid-March. He says he will also resume fare collection on June 1 after installing a temporary vinyl panel on all buses without a full driver door.
“You can always see your driver and always chat with your driver,” said Jonathan Dyck of BC Transit. “This will allow us to return to loading at the front door and collect the rates. “
The public transit authority says it will also continue to improve the cleaning of BC Transit buses and facilities and to limit passenger capacity to support physical distance.
“We have set smaller limits on the number of people who can get on the bus,” said Dyck, although he said that overall the number of users was down 60-80%.
TransLink had lost about $ 75 million each month due to significant reductions in ridership and fuel tax revenues.
Monday’s statement also said that all previously announced bus suspensions and travel frequency reductions will take effect on May 18.
A total of 41 routes will be suspended, in addition to the 18 route suspensions announced by TransLink in April and six suspended earlier this month.