Officials said the start of garden waste collection had been delayed in March as part of the city’s response to COVID-19 to ensure there were enough workers to keep household garbage collection.
[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]
Garden waste collection has temporarily resumed in the past four weeks and, in a press release on Sunday, authorities said the city has determined that it can continue on a regular basis.
Coronavirus: Ontario Authorizes Certain Businesses And Workplaces To Reopen May 4
The news comes as garden centers and lawn care businesses across the province are expected to resume operations on Monday.
Meanwhile, the city said there was an increase in the level of garden waste, with people staying at home during the pandemic.
As of April 25, teams had collected 11,000 tonnes of garden waste, 3,100 tonnes more than the same period last year.
Regular garbage and blue box collection, meanwhile, has remained relatively stable, officials said.
Doug Ford calls anti-closure protesters as Ontario prepares to reopen businesses Monday
See the link »
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.