If the Tour de France is run in September, it will not be behind closed doors, according to the French Minister of Sports.
Roxana Maracineanu originally suggested keeping fans away from the Grand Tour de France as a measure to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in March. However, with the race now postponed and scheduled to take place between August 29 and September 20, she says spectators should be allowed on the side of the road.
“If things continue to improve in September, major events such as Roland Garros and the Tour de France will take place,” said Maracineanu. “These two events include spectators. They are not kept behind closed doors. “
French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said last week that the ban on major sporting events would be extended until at least September, as the world continues to try to stop transmission of the coronavirus.
>>> Bjarne Riis calls Dave Brailsford “selfish” for having decided in turn to ensure the safety of the Tour de France
Philippe said that if the Tour continues, certain restrictions could be put in place, such as the limitation of the number of spectators, as was observed in Paris-Nice where the buffer zones restricted public access to the start and to the arrival.
“The reality is that we have to take into account the evolution of the pandemic. We are not sure about that, “said Maracineanu. “It is too early to decide whether to postpone or cancel the Tour de France. We speak regularly with ASO. It’s up to them to tell us when to decide. “
NTT Pro Cycling’s Bjarne Riis called Dave Brailsford “selfish” after the Ineos boss said he would withdraw his team from the Grand Tour de France if they deemed it dangerous.
“I don’t agree with Brailsford who said last week that they would decide if it was safe or not,” said Riis. “It is not up to him to decide. Governments and [race] the organizers will do it. I know Christian Prudhomme very well. He’s really not going to run the Tour if it’s not sure. “