In a statement, the Department of Health said there were 104 new deaths, up from 351 on Thursday, bringing the total to 27,529, still the fourth highest in the world, after those of the United States, Great -Brittany and Italy, and just in front of Spain. .
In a statement, the ministry added that the number of confirmed cases was up from 563 to 141,919.
“The COVID-19 epidemic is still active in France, so we must remain cautious (…),” said the ministry, also mentioning the case of a 9-year-old boy who died a week ago in the southern city. from Marseille after having developed a syndrome related to Kawasaki disease and having been in contact with the coronavirus without suffering from any of its symptoms.
This new life-threatening inflammatory syndrome associated with COVID-19 has affected 230 children in Europe and has killed two so far this year, the second death to have occurred in Britain.
The Department of Health said the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 infection dropped from 602 to 19,861 on Friday, the total falling below the 20,000 threshold for the first time since March 29. The number of people in intensive care fell from 96 to 2,203.
These two figures – key indicators of the French health system’s capacity to cope with the epidemic – have been on a downward trend for four to five weeks and have peaked at more than 32,000 and more than 7,000 respectively from start to mid -April.
(Report by Benoit Van Overstraeten; Editing by Chris Reese and Sandra Maler)