Source: CFL, CFLPA to resume discussions on potential emergency plans

0
79


TORONTO – The LCF and the CFL Players ‘Association will resume discussion.

A league source said on Monday that the two sides have agreed to resume discussions on potential contingency plans for the 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The source obtained anonymity because the LCF and CFLPA did not speak publicly about the resumption of negotiations.

The LCF and CFLPA had initially participated in emergency talks before finding themselves at an impasse regarding the interpretation of the current collective agreement about two weeks ago.

The CFL and CFLPA must accept any changes to the current ABC.

Renewed talks would be the first between the league and its players since Commissioner Randy Ambrosie told Canadian Press on Tuesday that the CFL was asking the federal government for up to $ 150 million in financial assistance due to the new outbreak of coronavirus.

The league’s proposal involves three phases: $ 30 million now to manage the impact of the new coronavirus outbreak on league activities; additional assistance for a shortened regular season; and up to an additional $ 120 million if the 2020 campaign is lost.

The CFL has not given up on hosting a 2020 season but has postponed the start of training camps, which were scheduled to open later this month.

He also postponed the start of the regular season – which was scheduled to start on June 11 – to early July at the earliest.

But many provincial governments have declared that there will be no large crowd sporting events this summer, so Ambrosie said last week that, although no official decision has been made, it appears that the league season will begin at the earliest in September.

This report from The Canadian Press was first published on May 4, 2020.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here