TORONTO – Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced Wednesday afternoon (May 6) that other types of businesses and construction projects may reopen starting May 8.
“We weren’t seated on our hands. Whether it’s publishing our reopening framework or putting in place the workplace safety guidelines necessary to help companies adapt to the new environment, we’ve laid the foundation for a safe, measured and gradual reopening of our province, “said Ford. “As trends improve, we can move forward by opening up our economy more and more and bringing people back to work.”
From Friday May 8, garden centers and nurseries will open to the public for payment and store purchases. These businesses will operate under the same public health guidelines as grocery stores and pharmacies. Hardware stores and security supply stores will be able to reopen their purchases for payment on May 9.
“For non-essential retailers, we have good news today, starting May 11, retail stores with a street entrance will be able to provide curbside pickup,” said Ford.
Retail stores that may reopen may also offer delivery options, in accordance with Ministry of Health directives and occupational health and safety requirements. Stores inside the mall or development complexes will not be able to reopen yet.
The guidelines for essential construction projects are also broadened to allow for the start-up of basement apartment and condominium projects and the continuation of basement projects.
“Together, each of us has made considerable efforts to stem the spread, and through these collective efforts, we have made tangible progress,” said Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Health Christine Elliott. “More than ever, we must continue to practice physical distance as we slowly and carefully reopen Ontario’s economy. “
Government officials have stressed that Ontario businesses must follow public health measures and review all workplace safety guidelines, including the promotion of physical remoteness, staggering shifts and adoption of contactless payment methods.
The government has made no changes to the authorized size of group activities, or the reopening of public spaces such as parks and recreation.
Authorities announced earlier that the government’s declaration of emergency and all emergency orders issued will be extended by two weeks. The province has also extended until May 31 the removal of time-of-use billing for electricity consumption in homes, agriculture and small businesses.
Since you are here …
… Thank you for reading this article. Local news is important. We hope you will continue to support local news by reading The Leader, online and in print. Please consider subscribing to the print edition of the newspaper. Click here to subscribe today.