No active cases of COVID-19 in southern Saskatchewan

0
91


For the first time since the first days of the COVID-19 pandemic in Saskatchewan, there are no active cases in Regina.

According to a statement released Tuesday by the provincial government, there are 193 active cases in Saskatchewan. There are none south of Saskatoon.

“This is a very positive note for two reasons,” said Saskatchewan chief medical officer of health Dr. Saqib Shahab in a conference call with reporters. “It puts us in a good place to reopen cautiously.

“But we also realize that there is an epidemic in the northwest of the province and we have seen many other jurisdictions that even when you start to reopen, you have to be diligent to maintain your physical distance. This will be essential as we move towards the new normal.

“Although things are very calm in southern Saskatchewan, we need to make sure that … anyone with even mild symptoms in the province (should) come for the test.”

The total number of active cases as of Tuesday includes 151 in the far north, 29 in the north, 12 in Saskatoon and one in the central area.

Tuesday’s provincial report also showed that, for the second day in a row, there were more recoveries of COVID-19 in Saskatchewan than new cases.

The province announced that there have been 11 recoveries since Monday’s report, bringing that number to 374. So far, five new cases have been brought to 573.

All the new cases are in the far north, three in the Beauval region and two in La Loche.

To date, six people have died in Saskatchewan.

There are 11 people in the hospital, including eight (five in the north and three in Saskatoon) who receive care for inpatients. Three people are in intensive care in Saskatoon.

Of the total number of cases, 295 are contacts with the community, 139 are travelers, 64 have no known exposure and 75 are under investigation by local public health.

There were 202 cases in the far north, 163 in the Saskatoon region, 105 in the north, 76 in the Regina region, 15 in the south and 12 in the central region.

So far, 48 health workers have contracted the disease, some in an unprofessional environment.

The Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) has previously reported clusters or outbreaks in hospitals at Lloydminster, Meadow Lake and Prince Albert, but all appear to have been contained.

SHA President and CEO Scott Livingstone said on the call that mass testing of hospital workers at Lloydminster was nearing completion and there had been no new cases in the past five days.

In addition, there is still only one positive case at Meadow Lake Hospital, while the epidemic at Victoria Hospital in Prince Albert is over.

With regard to age, 201 of the total number of cases to date were between 20 and 39 years of age, 178 were between 40 and 59 years of age, 98 were between 60 and 79 years of age, 79 involved persons between the ages of 19 years. and under, and 17 were in the 80 and over range.

The 37,695 COVID-19 tests done in the province so far included only 256 tests on Monday. This falls short of the target of 1,500 tests per day set a few weeks ago by Prime Minister Scott Moe.

Dr. Julie Kryzanowski, SHA chief medical officer of health, said authorities are trying to figure out the province’s test numbers.

“This is partly good news as we also believe that the decrease in the number of tests reflects a decrease in the levels of circulating respiratory viruses – and it reflects the effectiveness of the public health measures that are in place”, said Kryzanowski.

“But at the same time, we also know that there may be barriers to testing and we are working to understand and resolve them. One of these barriers is stigma. People, particularly in small communities where privacy is a concern, have said that they do not want to be tested if they can be identified as having COVID-19. “

Kryzanowski said the hope is that people will be celebrated for being tested instead of being stigmatized by others in their community.

A canceled July 1 celebration

In a press release issued on Tuesday, it was announced that the Lieutenant-Governor’s Canada Day celebration at the governor’s residence in Regina had been canceled.

“Donna and I were looking forward to hosting our first Canada Day celebration at the governor’s residence, but we think it is wise to cancel the event to help slow the spread of COVID-19,” said Lt. Gov. Russ Mirasty in the release. “While we will not be meeting to celebrate Canada Day, I am more proud than ever of our country and the way we have come together during this time of crisis.”

The event has taken place in the past 12 years.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here