More Minnesota Restaurants Announce Permanent Closings

0
50


As restaurants across Minnesota wait for the chance to resume some restaurant operations, a growing list of restaurants in the state says they will not reopen even after the lifting of COVID-19 trade restrictions.

Among the permanent closings announced in the past two days: Pazzaluna Urban Italian Restaurant and Bar in downtown St. Paul, and the Bonfire chain with locations in the Twin Cities and Mankato.

Pazzaluna, located at the corner of Fifth and St. Peter streets, opened in 1998. It will officially close on May 31.

“No matter when the restrictions are lifted, we are not confident in the immediate return of customers who are concerned about their health and their family members,” said Richard Dobransky, president of Morrissey Hospitality restaurant, in a press release published online. “Pazzaluna was created for our customers to enjoy each other’s company in a dynamic and sharing atmosphere. “

Morrissey Hospitality said it “is reinventing new possibilities for the location and exploring new opportunities for the Pazzaluna brand in the future and in new locations.”

They provide severance pay to all employees and seek to find alternative employment opportunities for these employees. Restaurant gift cards can be redeemed at other Morrissey Hospitality restaurants or will be refunded.

Bonfire had locations in Woodbury, Blaine, Eagan, Savage and Mankato. In a statement posted on their website, the owners said, “We have done our best to navigate this unexplored territory. We have explored several avenues to emerge triumphant at the end of this pandemic, but we simply have no way of bearing the financial burden. of our business and the building we call home. We were already in the queue before COVID-19 and since no one knows how long the effects of this pandemic will last, or what the new normal will be, we do not see a viable path to follow. “

The owners said Bonfire gift cards can be used at Axels restaurants in Chanhassen, Mendota and Roseville.

Among other restaurant and venue closings, the owners of the caves on Wabasha Street in St. Paul said they would close later this year, following cancellations of tours and events.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press has announced that the historic site for the underground event will close in November.

Foodservices, bars, movie theaters and other public places across the state were closed or shutdown in March, as part of an effort to slow the spread of the coronavirus. Since then, restaurants have been able to continue taking out and delivering.

The latest closures follow on from others in the past few weeks. The much-loved The Bachelor Farmer in Minneapolis previously said it would not reopen, and the mainstays of Twin Cities Izzy’s Ice Cream and El Burrito Mercado have each closed one of its many locations. South Minneapolis’ longtime bar and restaurant, Muddy Waters, closed in early May.

But other restaurants are getting ready for the day, they may reopen more than delivery and take-out services – although some are worried about finding enough staff to resume operations.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here