The reopening comes with new rules and restrictions that employees and customers will have to follow. There will be no more ear piercings and the makeup samples will be looked at, not touched.
“Beauty colleagues can only use testers on face cards using disposable single-use applicators, provided the store has disposable applicators and hand sanitizer,” read the new guidelines. .
Macy’s CEO Jeff Gennette described several other changes in a presentation Thursday, including:
- Bra fittings are pending until further notice
- Dress shirts will not be available to try in store
- Customers should use hand sanitizer before trying on jewelry and watches
- Perfume samples will be given on the blotters, at the request of customers
- Beauty and makeup testers will only be used for client consultation, not sampling
- Suspension of modification services
- Unauthorized ear piercing services
- All suspended “spa-like services”
Employees will be required to wear company-issued masks, undergo “wellness checks” before commuting to work, and frequently clean highly sensitive surfaces. Sneeze protectors will be installed at the cash desks and a hand sanitizer will be installed at stations around the store.RELATED: What Will It Take To Get A COVID-19 Vaccine And How Will It Be Made?
Macy’s is gradually reopening stores state by state, reports the New York Times, starting with locations in Georgia, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas and Tennessee.
It is not clear whether the San Francisco-based department store will be allowed to open its branches in California anytime soon; Governor Gavin Newsom announced relaxed retail restrictions on Monday, but said explicitly that shopping centers are not included.
Copyright © 2020 WABC-TV. All rights reserved.