Liverpool have had no discussions with RB Leipzig over the transfer of Timo Werner

0
59


Liverpool have had no talks with RB Leipzig over a decision for German international Timo Werner.

The Reds have been closely linked to the striker in recent months, who is said to have a £ 52 million release clause in his contract, which is scheduled to expire in June.

Information released on Wednesday evening suggested that Liverpool had withdrawn from talks to sign the 24-year-old, refusing at close range to part with these fees for his services amid the current financial uncertainty following the pandemic. of coronavirus.

However, ECHO understands that this is not the case as Liverpool have not had any discussions with RB Leipzig regarding Werner, although Jurgen Klopp is considered to be a fan of the German international.

And the feeling is mutual with the striker publicly sharing his admiration for the Reds and his compatriot earlier this season.

“I know Liverpool are the best team in the world right now,” he told ViaSport in February. “When you are linked to this team, it makes me very proud.

“It’s a pleasure, but I know there are a lot of good players in Liverpool and I have to improve to learn a lot more to reach that level, to play it. “

“There is one of the best managers in the world with Jurgen Klopp, and he is also German,” he also told Sky Germany.

“Many things suggest that perhaps I could [at Liverpool] very good with my style of play. But I don’t think about it yet because we have so much to do with Leipzig. ”

Although Liverpool had no discussions for Werner, it remains to be seen if that will change when the summer transfer window reopens.



Lukas Klostermann # 16 of Leipzig celebrating with Timo Werner (R) after leading the equalizing goal during the Bundesliga match between RB Leipzig and Hertha BSC at Red Bull Arena

However, the current coronavirus pandemic makes these deals unrealistic after recruitment and contract negotiations have taken a firm back seat in Melwood – even if the hard work of transfer rumor continues, unaffected by the reality of COVID -19.

When the Reds chose to voluntarily suspend operations at Melwood on March 13, it was recognized that there would be little progress towards targets as the uncertainty of a global health crisis dragged on.

Talks with agents and clubs of potential targets were interrupted as Liverpool restructured its daily operations across the club as a result of the virus.

Sports director Michael Edwards, chief scout, Barry Hunter and hiring manager Dave Fallows stayed in touch, but the reality is that no significant progress should be made while the world is battling a virus who ended football. for the better part of two months.

Read more

Liverpool FC essential news

And that hasn’t changed despite Liverpool’s return to training at Melwood last week before a potential return to the Premier League next month.

Werner was in action for RB Leipzig on Wednesday night but was unable to appear on the match sheet as they contested a 2-2 draw with Hertha Berlin to damage their fake title challenge in Bundesliga.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here