The task of saving the country’s football season with the third-highest Covid-19 toll in Europe has always seemed daunting, but the Spanish Liga made a big step on Saturday when the Spanish government announced that it could restart in the second week of June.
This means that Barcelona and Real Madrid will be able to resume their title races in three weeks, but it also means that the Liga should now avoid financial sanctions from the television companies.
The lapses included in the television contracts were to come into force if football remained outside the television screens for more than 90 days and with the La Liga inactive since March 12, this date is looming.
La Liga to return in three weeks after Spanish government gives green light
The move means a number of top flight clubs have been saved from the financial crisis
Spain has the third highest number of coronavirus deaths while the country has battled the virus
La Liga President Javier Tebas tweeted: “We are very satisfied with this decision, it is the result of the great work of the clubs, the players, the coaches, the CSD (Spanish Sports Council) and the agents.
“But it is important to comply with health regulations so that the evolution of the pandemic remains under control. We cannot let our guard down. “
Earlier on Saturday, Real Madrid winger Vinicius admitted that at the start of the coronavirus pandemic he was concerned that the season would never end.
“There have been times when the crisis was so huge and the death toll so high that it seemed impossible that football, or any other activity, could return in a few months,” he said, reflecting the beliefs of many players in Spain.
Matches should be played every day, as the league seems to end on time.
Liga President Javier Tebas expressed his joy at the decision to resume football
“But over time, we started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Now I’m sure we’ll be able to get things back to normal little by little, and one of those things is football, ”added the 19-year-old Brazilian.
Spanish radio operator Cadena Cope had expressed doubts last week when Spanish radio had excluded on June 12, as regional easing of Spain’s foreclosure measures made uniform progress impossible.
But La Liga told Sportsmail on Friday that they still hope to stay the course, and Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez’s announcement on Saturday means their optimism seems well placed.
Players from the 20 first division clubs switched from individual training to group training last Monday. Group sessions of up to ten players will continue next week, with clubs scheduling another round of coronavirus testing for their players by the end of next week.
Some players, including Madrid’s Vinicius Jr, feared the season was not over
The decision also means that clubs do not have to confiscate huge sums of money from television companies.
The teams of the following Monday will be allowed to undergo full team training before the Seville match with Betis on Friday 12 June becomes the first return match.
There are 11 game rounds left and Tebas wants the season to end in a 35 day period with games played every day of the week.
There are still obstacles to overcome. The AFE Players Union is likely to resist any requests from players to travel to the Lock Team hotels before the season resumes. And there are concerns about players playing in the heat and without adequate rest.
But La Liga has given assurances regarding the latter two concerns and is unlikely to insist on the former.
The return of football will see Real Madrid attempt to beat Barcelona for the title of champion
Money was the determining factor in relaunching the season.
Football generates around 1.37% of the country’s GDP and is responsible for over 18,000 jobs.
Tebas has made it clear that the cancellation of the season would result in losses of one billion euros, while the in-camera season would cost 300 million. With the additional losses likely to be passed on to players in the form of pay cuts, there has been little resistance to returning from the game, although many players and coaches have taken an early stand against diagnostic testing. coronavirus made available to them before they are available. medical staff.
Spain has registered more than 230,000 infections and more than 28,000 deaths, but with some of Europe’s strictest lock-in regulations, the number of deaths per day fell to 56 on Friday.