Hamilton Retirement Home Resident Left Behind As Patients Transported To Hospital Due To Outbreak


A resident of a retirement home in Hamilton who was diagnosed with COVID-19 was left behind as the facility was transporting approximately half of its population to hospital due to an epidemic.

The epidemic was declared at Rosslyn Retirement Residence, located near King Street and Rosslyn Road, on May 10 after someone got the new coronavirus. A spokesperson for St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton said Friday that 49 patients tested positive for COVID-19.

“It was decided that we should move residents from home to hospital,” Winnie Doyle, executive vice president of clinical services, told CP24 in an interview on Tuesday evening.We determined that we should take 50% of the residents. “

Staff from St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton and the local public health unit helped coordinate the transfer with paramedics. The patients were transported to Hamilton Health Sciences and St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton.

“When it was over – it was in the early hours of Saturday morning – our team that was there to support the house did a room-to-room search and, we really don’t know what happened, but the individual has not been found, “said Doyle.

Doyle stated that the resident’s family contacted them and that the staff, in turn, asked the home to conduct another search. The individual was found in his room and was immediately transported to the hospital.

“It was clearly a very unfortunate event,” added Doyle.

According to Doyle, normal nursing home staff were not present when patients were transferred to hospital due to the epidemic.

“They had to leave during the week and that day, so there was no one who knew the residents like you normally would in this kind of establishment, so that was a problem,” she said. declared. “We also received information from the house that the person who had been left at home had indeed been transferred to the hospital earlier in the week.”

No further information was released on the patient who was left at home, but Doyle said he was alert when he was taken to hospital and in stable condition.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here