Venezuelan Leader of the Opposition Juan Guaido has accepted the resignation of U.S.-based adviser Juan Rendon, his news team announced Monday after Rendon acknowledged talks with an American security firm to topple President Nicolas Maduro.
Guaido thanked Rendon and another legislator in exile, Sergio Vergara, who also resigned from the opposition’s “crisis strategy committee”, for their “dedication and commitment to Venezuela”, without giving any reason for the decision .
Rendon said that although he had negotiated an exploratory agreement with Silvercorp USA in Florida late last year, he cut ties with the company’s chief executive, Jordan Goudreau, in November.
Goudreau, Rendon said, then continued an operation led by two former American soldiers to capture Maduro. The plot failed and Venezuelan authorities said the security forces killed eight members in an attempted incursion on May 3 and arrested a dozen more, including the two American citizens, the following day.
Guaido denied any involvement in the failed invasion. But that has raised doubts about his leadership about 16 months since he first declared a rival presidency and denounced Maduro as a usurper who had overseen a six-year economic collapse.
In the statement, the Guaido press team said that Rendon and Vergara “have ratified their support for the democratic cause … and called on all national and international sectors to step up their support for the interim president.”
Rendon and Vergara have confirmed their resignation in public letters. Rendon said the commission was never interested in “participating in violent activities”, while Vergada said it was unaware of the alleged Gideon operation.
Goudreau, in media interviews, confirmed his role in organizing the incursion.
Venezuela’s attorney general Tarek Saab said on Friday that his office had asked for the extradition of Goudreau, Rendon and Vergara for their involvement in the “design, financing and execution” of the plan.