After consulting with city officials, operators of the Minto Arena, a private facility in eastern Ottawa, have chosen to temporarily close their doors and cancel all previously scheduled ice periods.
The facility reopened on Thursday, with strict health and safety guidelines, including no more than five skaters in the building at any one time. Supervisors were inside the arena at all times, ensuring that physical distance requirements were in place at all times.
This is the first arena in Ottawa to reopen since new coronavirus problems closed all arenas in the city on March 12.
Once the availability of ice spread, the rink was quickly booked by hockey players who wanted to skate for the first time in 10 weeks.
Last week when the Ontario government announced details of its Phase I opening plan, Minto CEO Scott Lawryk went through the necessary provincial channels to determine what was needed to skating resumes. He received the green light.
By Friday morning, however, the situation had changed.
“After a successful first day, the Minto Skating Center will suspend rentals at the request of the authorities,” Lawryk said in a statement. “Our processes and procedures for maintaining health and safety have received high praise and we are pleased to work towards a clear understanding of the application of regulations with regard to different user groups.”
Friday afternoon, city officials responded to requests for comment.
“Following discussions with the municipal by-law and regulatory departments, the directors of the Minto Skating Club have voluntarily made the decision to temporarily cease operations until further discussion on the enforcement of provincial ordinances can be made. take place, “said Jennifer Therkelsen, Acting Director of Regulations. legal and regulatory services, said in a statement. “This discussion should take place early next week. “