Japan and Europe are expected to inject billions into their economies.
On Wednesday, two of the world’s largest economies said they would inject billions of dollars to support businesses, industries and individuals hard hit by the coronavirus.
Japan and Europe, the first two victims of the pandemic that recently started to reopen after long stops, resisted the austerity forces to adopt stimulus packages.
The Japanese cabinet approved more than $ 1 trillion in stimulus funds on Wednesday, including a combination of business and personal grants. Parliament is expected to approve the measure next month.
The European Commission, the executive body of the European Union, has also said it will present a plan of action worth 750 billion euros, or about 826 billion dollars. One measure considered was a proposal by German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron a € 500 billion pooled fund for European Union countries severely affected by the virus.
The Japanese proposal follows a series of measures that the country adopted in April. Together, the two packages would amount to 40% of Japan’s economic output, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told reporters on Wednesday.
The Japanese economy contracted 3.4% in the three months to March. The country entered the state of emergency in mid-April, a kind of voluntary lockdown that continued this week.
Opposition to an EU bailout came from some of the wealthiest countries in the bloc – Austria, Denmark, the Netherlands and Sweden – who said the European Commission should not distribute cash but rather offer loans. When Germany and France, the wealthiest countries in the bloc, reached an agreement on subsidies, the so-called Frugal Four seemed compelled to agree.
Observers say the deal marks yet another European Commission foray into capital markets, which some have called for taking a step towards the creation of the “United States of Europe”.
Mr. Khanna is a Michelin-starred chef, born in India and arrived in New York as a budding chef 20 years ago, initially working as a dishwasher and delivery man. As the pandemic hit his home country, he watched the news and became discouraged.
“We have totally failed our people,” he said in an interview last week, referring to the millions of people in India who are unemployed and desperately hungry. “I wanted to show that solidarity still exists.”
Khanna posted an emotional appeal on Twitter in early April, asking people to send him details of those in desperate need of food. In a few hours, he was inundated with answers.
But it was not as easy to reach the hungry. His first attempt to deliver food to a nursing home in southern India collapsed when the delivery boy disappeared with more than 2,000 pounds of rice and nearly 900 pounds of lentils.
As countries in the Asia-Pacific region gradually open up after months of foreclosure, officials have struggled to find that elusive balance between getting people back to work and keeping the virus at bay.
Economists and business leaders in China began warning in February that blockages and other stringent measures were affecting the lives and livelihoods of millions of people – while contributing little to the containment effort. But when China finally released its blockages, new pockets of infection formed, prompting authorities in northeast Jilin Province to impose containment on the Wuhan.
Similar tensions, a setback and calls for compromise are now manifesting elsewhere in the region.
In Indonesia, for example, which has With 23,000 confirmed cases and counting, President Joko Widodo is concerned that economic loss is as much a threat to the public as the virus. On Wednesday, he described plans for what he calls a “new normal protocol” to slow the coronavirus while boosting the economy. He called for the deployment of troops and police officers to all hard-hit regions of the country to help enforce containment measures.
In Hong Kong, a semi-autonomous Chinese territory, the authorities have adopted a “suppression and recovery” strategy to alternately tighten and relax measures as transmissions increase and decrease. Officials, for example, were ordered to work from home in March – for the second time – after the city saw a new wave of imported cases. They are now back in the office.
And authorities in South Korea have relaxed restrictions on social distancing and reopened schools after successfully reducing what had been one of the biggest epidemics outside of China to a net.
However, the country reported 40 new cases on Wednesday, when it was feared that an epidemic that started in Seoul nightclubs earlier this month would infect people elsewhere. New patients in recent days include 11 cases linked to a duck restaurant in Seoul and 36 linked to a logistics center for home delivery south of the city.
France revoked on Wednesday the authorization authorizing hydroxychloroquine like treatment for the patients of Covid-19, moving one day after the stop the use of the malaria drug in clinical trials. These two measures come after measures by the World Health Organization to temporarily withdraw the drug from global trials due to safety concerns.
In France, the drug was promoted as a miracle cure by a specialist in non-conformist infectious diseases based in Marseille, Didier Raoult, who has grown in importance by conducting several dubious experiments which, according to him, have proven the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine in the fight against the virus.
France had authorized limited use of the drug on patients in serious condition and had included it in several clinical trials. But now the country has joined the ranks of others who are moving away from drug use, even after several prominent figures have promoted it. The President of El Salvador joined President Trump on Tuesday saying he too is taking the drug hoping to ward off the coronavirus.
“I use it as prophylaxis, President Trump uses it as prophylaxis, most world leaders use it as prophylaxis”, Reuters quoted on Tuesday Salvadoran President Nayib Bukele. (In fact, few if any other world leaders have said they are taking the drug.)
Trump said he is taking hydroxychloroquine as a preventative, despite the lack of evidence of its effectiveness against Covid-19. Bukele told reporters on Tuesday that his government was no longer promoting the drug as a treatment, as advised by the W.H.O., but that patients could still take it as a preventive treatment. El Salvador has just over 2,000 confirmed cases of the virus.
“There is still no scientific evidence, but it is being monitored and used in Brazil and around the world,” said Bolsonaro on his official Facebook page, The Associated Press reported. “We are at war:” Worse than being defeated is the shame of not having fought. “”
A dozen US states are seeing an increase in new virus cases, countering the national tendency to remain stable or see decreases. At least half of the states with more infections were in a first wave of reopenings in late April and early May, including Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee.
New cases of coronavirus have also continued to increase in North Carolina, where the Republican National Convention is scheduled to take place in August. President Trump threatened on Monday to move the convention unless Governor Roy Cooper provided a “guarantee” that there would be no virus-related restrictions on the size of the event. Cooper, a Democrat, refused to do so on Tuesday.
The new figures may reflect an increase in testing capacity in some places, although they also indicate that the virus’s grip on the country is far from over.
“It’s like nothing has happened,” Chan said in an interview. “I am stunned. How could they have turned around so quickly? “
Mr. Chan wrote “The Fat Years” as a cautionary tale. Today it seems too real. A disaster brings suffering and death. Collective amnesia sets in. The Communist Party is emerging stronger than ever.
How could people forget so easily? Of course, the Communist Party controls the media and history. As George Orwell wrote, “Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past. “
At the height of the coronavirus epidemic in China, authorities quickly used sophisticated tracking devices in everyone’s pocket – their smartphones – to identify and isolate those who may spread the disease.
Months later, official statistics from China suggest that the worst of the epidemic has passed there, but the government’s surveillance apps hardly fade. Instead, they are tiptoeing to become a permanent feature of everyday life, which could be used in a disturbing and invasive manner.
Zhou Jiangyong, secretary of the Communist Party at the Hangzhou Oriental Technology Center, said this month that the city app should be a “private health guardian” for residents, an app often used and “so loved that you cannot bear to part with “, according to an official announcement.
While the technology has undoubtedly helped many workers and employers to get their lives back on track, it has also raised concerns in China, where people are increasingly protecting their digital privacy. Businesses and government agencies in China have had mixed results on protecting personal information from hackers and leaks. Authorities have also taken a broad view of usage advanced monitoring tools in the name of public welfare.
Government virus detection software collects information, including location data, from people in hundreds of cities across China. But the authorities have set few limits on how this data can be used. And now officials in some places are loading their apps with new features, hoping that the software will remain more than just an emergency measure.
Like the Tokyo Olympics and other major events, international negotiations designed to deal with the threat of climate change will most likely be delayed by a full year due to the pandemic.
“Given the uneven distribution of Covid-19, this date would present the lowest risk of postponement and the best chance of delivering an inclusive and ambitious conference,” said British officials.
The rally aims to bring together world leaders to find ways to avoid the worst effects of climate change, including heat waves and flooded coastal cities.
Delaying talks for an entire year could make matters worse, say some diplomats. Countries and international financial institutions can now feel freer to adopt economic stimulus packages without paying close attention to their climate implications.
More than 20 of these conferences were held before countries agreed to the Paris Pact of 2015, under which they committed to keeping the increase in global average temperatures well below 2 degrees Celsius , or 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit, compared to pre-industrial levels.
The grandparents choked on food because they were fed lying down. Residents left in dirty beds and dirty diapers for hours, in rooms with “significant faecal contamination” and cockroaches. Residents shouted for help for more than two hours before anyone answered.
Canadians knew the coronavirus had opened a deadly path in long-term care homes across the country, but a report by the Canadian military adds new layers of horror to the shocking story.
“It is terrible, it is disgusting,” Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Tuesday as he released the confidential report and demanded justice for families.
Although nursing homes have been hit by the pandemic in many countries, in Canada, they appear to have been hit particularly hard. Earlier this month, more than 80% of coronavirus deaths in the country were reportedly linked to long-term care homes. (This figure has now exceeded 6,500.)
In the country’s two most populous provinces, Ontario and Quebec, many centers have been so badly affected and so understaffed that the federal government sent Canadian forces to help last month.
The new report, which involves five homes in Ontario, is heartbreaking.
He cites not only a lack of infection control, but also exhausted workers who have worked in a “culture of fear of using supplies because they cost money.” Essential items like wipes and sheets were kept under “lock and key,” the report said.
In one house, staff reported that patients had not been bathed for weeks and in others, residents were not fed regularly and food was left out of reach.
Calling the report “deeply troubling,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said, “I have obviously experienced a range of emotions of anger, sadness, frustration, grief.”
“We must act as a country,” said Trudeau.
Report provided by Li Yuan, Constant Méheut, Shalini Venugopal Bhagat, Russell Goldman, Matina Stevis-Gridneff, Elaine Yu, Choe Sang-Hun, Raymond Zhong, Richard C. Paddock, Dera Menra Sijabat, Ben Dooley, Makiko Inoue, Mike Ives, Jenny Gross, Catherine Porter, Somini Sengupta, Alexandra Stevenson and Keith Bradsher